Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Linx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dario

Some suggestion and hints

Post by Linx »

Hi All,

I'm going to install veeam v7 on our infrastructure which is a VMWare 5.5 cluster with 6 hosts. The hosts are in a blade server and all the connectivity is @ 10Gb.
The SAN is connected via 10Gb network.

We'll have less than 100 VMs
The backup repository is gonna be a NAS with two 1Gb nics

That said, I would like to know which would be the best backup method (Direct SAN? Network? Hot Add?), if I can use SQL Express or I have to use SQL and if would be better to deploy separate servers or a single multirole server would be fine.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Some suggestion and hints

Post by foggy »

Dario, if your Veeam B&R server is going to be physical, than Direct SAN mode is preferable.

For your environment SQL Server Express should be more than enough. Please see this existing topic for more information (nevermind it is old, still applicable).

Also, please see this user guide section for information about possible deployment scenarios.

Hope this helps.
Linx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dario

Post by Linx »

Hi foggy, thanks for your reply. The backup server will be virtual. Is direct attach still preferred?

What about the single server?

Thanks,
D
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

With virtual Veeam B&R it is recommended to go with hotadd (Virtual Appliance).

Do you mean installing SQL Server instance on the same machine where Veeam B&R is installed or you are talking about Veeam B&R components (like proxy servers or repositories)? SQL Server Express is installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation, so it is fine. If you are able to meet your backup window with just a single default proxy server (also installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation), then there's no need for additional proxy servers. Backup storage can be mounted to the Veeam B&R VM, so repository role could also be assigned to the same server.