Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
benwaynet
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Benway

Veeam redesign

Post by benwaynet »

I'm running out of space on my current veeam server (single windows server with local hard drives)
I have 25TB of space on the veeam server.
I have 11 ESX host with about 250 vms.

I currently only run backups on the weekends and keep 6 backups.

I was thinking about a DS1813 or a truenas from ixsystems (freenas)

Right now I just have one physical proxy. I was thinking of adding a virtual proxy or see if I can extend my SAN so I can do direct access.

If I had another proxy should I use smb for the devices above that way all my proxies can share the storage pool. or should I Just attach my current physical veeam server via isci and they let the proxies backup to that repository?

thanks,jb
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam redesign

Post by foggy »

benwaynet wrote:If I had another proxy should I use smb for the devices above that way all my proxies can share the storage pool. or should I Just attach my current physical veeam server via isci and they let the proxies backup to that repository?
iSCSI is a more preferable option. You should create a separate repository for the new device and any proxy will be able to write to it. There's no such a thing as a storage pool within Veeam B&R, each job writes to the specified repository (whichever proxy it uses to process data).