Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Backup Copy initial full backup question

Post by Shralok »

Hello,

I am confused with Backup Copy and how it is operating on my system.

I have one forward incremental Backup job called "Exchange" which runs at HQ and has a retention period of 7 days.
I then have a Backup Copy job called "Exchange to CoLo" which runs every day at 12 AM and copies the "Exchange" job to the CoLo. It has 30 day retention.

The initial full backup for the initial Backup Copy could not complete due to the Original Size of the mailbox server (565 GB)

So when I look at "Backup Properties Exchange to CoLo" it shows the following:

I know from reading the "Short Synchronization Intervals" section of the Veeam B&R 7 manual how the process operates but I want to make sure I am 100% clear, so I ask the following...

According to #1 and #2 in the aforementioned section of the manual, the Backup Copy job will continue to copy the intervals even though it has not been able to copy a Full. True or False?
(and here we go with my actual question) So then when the next time the Backup Copy job falls out of retention (Day 31), it will transform all of the incremental backups to a Full backup, not ever using the initial "incomplete" full backup? And will just delete whatever file is there for this incomplete "full" from 31 days ago?

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy initial full backup question

Post by veremin »

The situation with incomplete full and complete incremental is ok for backup copy job. It means that initial full backup was transferred only partially, and the next increment contains both missing parts of original full backup and corresponding incremental data. So to say, the full backup point isn't restorable, meanwhile, the following increment is.

Once the retention reaches the incomplete full backup, the data from it will be inserted into following the increment in order to create a new full backup.

Thanks.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok »

Awesome. So the increment on 5/12 includes all the "Incomplete" data from 5/11 "Incomplete Full" and those two restore points (well it seems three, there are two on 5/11) equal a full backup?

Thanks again!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I believe the first increment is nothing but a dummy point resulted from backup copy job interruption. So, yes the second increment dated at 5/12 should contain every missing part. Thanks.