Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Feature Request: Better full backup scheduling options

Post by mongie »

Hello,

I'm currently in a position where i'm trying to conserve disk space. I run several jobs on a group of servers that produce 5-7TB full backups.

I have these in forward incremental mode normally, but have recently swapped these to active fulls on a monthly basis to try and limit the number of full backups on disk.

What I would like to see is a rule based system where you can specify the targeted number of fulls to incrementals.

e.g. Instead of saying "keep 20 restore points". You would specify things like... "Keep 2 full backups on disk at one time. Run a full backup every 5 incremental backups" or something like that.

At the very least, I'd like to be able to schedule fortnightly full backups (both for synthetic fulls and active fulls).

Thanks,
Alex
aporter
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrew Porter

Re: Feature Request: Better full backup scheduling options

Post by aporter »

I'd like to second this request. In my case we have run into trouble when we miss a few incremental backups for whatever reason, and then end up with more fulls on disk before we reach the retention thresholds for deletion of old backups. For example, I may only get 2 incrementals during a given week, but still get a full at the end of that week. Current workarounds include manually avoiding full backups by modify the job multiple times per week and/or temporarily reducing retention periods to free up space (not ideal).

Andrew
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok » 1 person likes this post

This would be a great addition. It would make it much easier than whipping out the calculator and doing the math and then keeping track of that in a spreadsheet.

Right now if I want an hourly backup and I want to keep two weeks, it is 336 points kept... I would love to be able to select "14" and then "days" in two separate drop-downs.
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Post by jpeake »

me too
trentl
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Trent Lane

[MERGED] Feature Request: Retention policy based on full bac

Post by trentl »

Hi,
I didn't see a sticky for feature request, did a quick search but didn't immediately come across a similar request.
I'm using Veeam 6.5 B&R for vSphere.
I've just been configuring some new backup jobs and the retention policy is based on restore points to keep as it always has been, I know.

A bit of background:
We keep 2 full weekly backups and however many incremental backups during the week.
I always tend to under compensate or over compensate for the restore points to keep. This can be because of failed backups retrying and succeeding (bumping up the restore points) or if the backup has been disabled for a period (lowering restore points).
The result is I either can end up with 1x full weekly backup available on the disk or 3x weekly full backups on the disk (which fills our backup storage)

So I thought a good feature might be to provide the option to define the retention policy based on full backups.
I know this may not be suitable for everyone, so maybe a radio button/drop down list option that would allow you to select the retention policy based on the number of full backups or by the number of restore points.

Thanks for listening :wink:

Trent
BLUEProfile
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Wayne Kenward

Post by BLUEProfile »

I agree with all the comments above.