Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dcarey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: d carey

Specific Tape Selection question

Post by dcarey »

I have a dedicated Veeam Server with Enterprise edition on a Dell TL2000 + a pair of LTO6 drives.

I'm using forward incremental for all vm's daily with synthetic fulls on a Saturday. I have 2 repositories that I'd like to backup on a daily basis using 6 daily tapes in a 2 week rotation and 10 weekly and 12 monthly etc. Is there a way of ensuring that for example Tuesday2 is used every other Tuesday etc? I want to be sure of which tapes are used on each day.

I'm only going to keep 2 restore points on disk to reduce the amount of data and I can then backup the entire repository. Also I will replicate the tier 1 backups to our remote site using the wan proxy.

Has anyone got any recommendations on which is the best way to achieve this please. Lots of media pools and a daily backup job maybe?

Many thanks in advance
Darren.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Specific Tape Selection question

Post by veremin »

I'm using forward incremental for all vm's daily with synthetic fulls on a Saturday. I'm only going to keep 2 restore points on disk to reduce the amount of data and I can then backup the entire repository.
Depending on day of week, with the these settings you will have from 2 to 9 restore points stored on disk.
I have 2 repositories that I'd like to backup on a daily basis using 6 daily tapes in a 2 week rotation and 10 weekly and 12 monthly etc. Is there a way of ensuring that for example Tuesday2 is used every other Tuesday etc? I want to be sure of which tapes are used on each day.
Can you elaborate on it a little bit? You want to rotate mediums on 2-week, 10-week, and 12-monthly basis? Are you after some sort of GFS on tapes?

Thanks.
dcarey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: d carey

Post by dcarey »

Vladimir,

Thx for the reply. Due to the amount of data I had to use 2 tapes per day. I ended up creating a media pool per day. I then have a tape backup job per day that backs up the repositories to that pool. I also want to send some of the backups to an offsite location (using veeam repl and the veeam wan accelerator ) so am trying to decide which method to use as I want the latest full backup on each tape daily using as little space as possible on them and also allowing me to replicate as little as possible.

Many Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Due to the amount of data I had to use 2 tapes per day. I ended up creating a media pool per day. I then have a tape backup job per day that backs up the repositories to that pool.
So, there are 7 media pools and 7 backup jobs pointed to them, right? Wouldn't one reversed incremental backup job and one media pool with daily media set and weekly retention scheme meet the same requirements?
So, am trying to decide which method to use as I want the latest full backup on each tape daily using as little space as possible on them and also allowing me to replicate as little as possible.
You can switch to reversed incremental mode, as it's more space conservative and guarantees that the latest backup Is always a full one. Then, select this job as a source for both backup to tape and backup.

Thanks.