Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mirror51
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: john

Can i do VM backups on NFS share rather local PC

Post by mirror51 »

I have questions about Veeam backup and Replication as i am new user.

I have Esxi Server and my main aim is to backup running VMs to NFS share which is on netgear READYNAs.

Now my questions are

1. Where do i need to install Veeam . I mean on virtual machine on same Esxi server . Linux or windows ?
2. I want to run cron jobs daily which backups VM from Vmeare esxi datastore to NFS share
3. How many servers i need . i mean i have read , veeam backup server, proxyserver , server manager etc. is one server enough for 10 vms

Can some please help me on this

I am using free version of veeam and enterprise licence of Esxi and i have vcenter on sevrer 2008.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can i do VM backups on NFS share rather local PC

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

John, Veeam B&R can be installed on any Windows machine meeting the system requirements, either physical or virtual. For the environment of your size an all-in-one default installation is more than enough (default proxy server is installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation). You will have to create a backup repository for your ReadyNAS device, for that it has to be mounted to some Linux server and this server should be added to Veeam B&R console as a repository. Thanks.
mirror51
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: john

Post by mirror51 »

thanks foggy,

So i can make Virtual machine for window server 2008 and install veaam there. Then i need to make separate VM ofr Ubuntu Linux and mount the NAs device over there

Then i can add the Linux device as backup repository

Does the NAS has to be in vmfs format or it can be in ntfs format as well so that i can copy the vms from there to anywhere
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I've just noticed you're using free version of Veeam B&R and actually there's no such a thing as backup repository there. You can backup to any folder accessible from the Veeam B&R console (either local or shared). Sorry for confusion.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

I'm almost sure the Netgear NAS can also expose the storage with SMB protocol, maybe you'd better use it instead of NFS, so the Veeam server can connect to it directly without a linux machine in between.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1