Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

RPC client is not mem of admins (but it is)

Post by pkelly_sts »

Sorry for the cryptic title, couldn't fit enough in the subject. Actual error is: "Error: Access is denied. RPC client is not a member of built-in Administrators group."

Since adding a VCSA to a domain (previously used for around a year without being a domain member) we've been getting the following error daily on a random pattern of VMs during backup. The thing is, the Veeam service account /is/ in the Admins group on these VMS and, more curiously, it generally gets the failures ok during the retries, which also seems to confirm credentials must be ok.

What, related to domain-changing I guess, could be causing these daily failures & successful retries?

Interestingly I've had to reboot the VCSA today as it became unresponsive so am manually retrying the failed jobs this time but, as per the nightly runs, I'm having to retry multiple times to get all the VMs as a decreasing number of them fail with this error each time the job is run.

Currently on vanilla v7, not updated to patch 1 or 2 yet (but currently planning to)

Paul
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: RPC client is not mem of admins (but it is)

Post by foggy »

Paul, have you already contacted support with this (as it is always recommended to do with all technical issues)?
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts »

I haven't yet, thought I'd try here first in case it was a known issue but will log one today if I don't hear anything back from here by this afternoon.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I wasn't able to find anything similar to your issue reported before, so it is worth opening a case for more effective troubleshooting. It would be appreciated if you then post the case ID here for further reference. Thanks!
veedeewallace
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Valencia Wallace

Post by veedeewallace »

Was there a solution found for this problem? We're getting the same error with failures on all of our backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Since Paul has not provided his support case ID, we cannot check for solution. Please contact support directly for details, and include your support case ID here if you could.
DavorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Davor Stanec

Post by DavorS » 2 people like this post

I've had the same problem today.

We had a specific issue, where we wanted to make use of our Veeam B&R physical server as a backup domain controler.

After we installed the DC role, we've encountered the "Error: Access is denied. RPC client is not a member of built-in Administrators group."

The problem was in group membership. After we installed the DC role, Veeam service account was no longer a member of local administrators group (even though it a domain admin member). Seeing it as we can't access the Local users and groups console on a DC, we've had to use command prompt.

Open administrative command prompt and type: net localgroup Administrators

This will list all members of the built-in local administrators group, if you want to add an account in type in the following:

net localgroup Administrators /add domain\username

and you're done. Restart your server and all should be fine.
peske
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aleksandar Pesic

Post by peske »

This error does not says that the account is not member of Administrators role of guest VM, but Administrators role of host machine. So you should check if the account that Veeam Backup and Replication is running under is in Administrators role on host machine and backup repository machine.

I hope it was helpful...
aviken
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Audun Viken

Post by aviken » 1 person likes this post

I had this problem, and it was the the backup user not having admin rights in the Veeam proxy server.
MrMegaVadim
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Vadim

Post by MrMegaVadim » 1 person likes this post

I my case my service account I was using in my company for VEEAM backups was a domain admin. The problem appeared whet I removed domain admin rigths.

BEST ANSWER aviken !!!
Thank YOU aviken for your comment. This is the portion i missed

Problem solved:
1. veeam backup service account - local admin on veeam B&R server
2. veeam backup service account - vmware admin (vcenter administration - roles - Administrator)
3. veeam backup service account - local admin on all backup proxies
Option
4. veeam backup service account - database admin on THIS servers or local admin - IF you Enabled Application-aware processing for THIS backup job

THIS IS ALL you need
MrMegaVadim
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Vadim

Post by MrMegaVadim » 1 person likes this post

If you backup DC you need also to give to your veeam backup service use account - Build-in administrator and Build-in Backup operator rights in you AD