Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nosecam
Influencer
Liked: never

Synology NAS as source, tape/rdx as target

Post by nosecam »

Hi,

can I use veeam to backup our Synology RackStation NAS? (as source)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Synology NAS as source, tape/rdx as target

Post by veremin »

Is it your backup repository or you just want to backup multiple files residing there? Both scenarios are supported: 1st - backup to tape jobs, 2nd - file to tape jobs. However, be aware that in the latter case the processing speed might be seemingly slow. Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

We use the NAS as a fileserver which we want to back up. I actually Need to redesign our whole backup which with an Environment of that NAS plus several VM Hosts (to keep the explanation simple :-)) running indepemndently from each other.
My idea is:
- use another NAS and do a ToDisk backup from all source
- from that NAS do a tape backup (either some LTO or RDX) once a week.

Feasable?
How does Veeam backup the NAS? Using some kind of agent?
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Feasable?
Yes, it looks good. So, you want to backup VMs to the given device first and, then, archive resulting backup files to tapes, right?

In this case, you should:

1) Deploy physical backup server.
2) Attach tape library/drive to it.
3) Add NAS device as a repository.
4) Create backup jobs, pointing them to the newly created repository.
5) Create backup to tape job(s), selecting the created backup jobs as the source.
How does Veeam backup the NAS? Using some kind of agent?
We don't use agents. Tape integration is done by special services deployed on management server.

Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Hi Vladimir,
Yes, it looks good. So, you want to backup VMs to the given device first and, then, archive resulting backup files to tapes, right?
Yes, but not complete :-) As source there might be a NAS as well.

Maybe I am too simplistic here, but I made a rough sketch that will probably better explain of what I want to achieve (not sure if there is a better solution, though)
I think I can't attache files here so I have put it on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i362bym8r24j9 ... Sketch.jpg

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The backup management server, not the tape loader, should have access to NAS device. If you chose the file share as a source, you will have to use file to tape job, instead of backup to tape one. With big number of files the performance of file to tape job might slow down, as it wasn't designed with this use case in mind.

I would recommend testing it and seeing whether you're satisfied with the performance rates.

Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

thanks.
Still not clear to me:

- how are the files pulled from the NAS if it is not through an Agent. SMB?
- lets leave the VM Hosts aside for the moment, which veeam version do I need in order to test it? (capable of adding the VMs later)

Thanks again
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

how are the files pulled from the NAS if it is not through an Agent. SMB?
Is the given device configured as a CIFS share? If so, you can connect it to backup server. Once the share is visible in management console, you will be able to select files residing on it as source for files to tape jobs.
- lets leave the VM Hosts aside for the moment, which veeam version do I need in order to test it? (capable of adding the VMs later)
I'd recommend the latest one.

Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Hm, is the CIFS support a new feature? Some month ago, I was told by veeam presales that it is not possible to access physical machines/shares outside of a virtual environment.
Sorry not beeing clear with the question about the Version, I meant which product. I give a try with the Essentials..

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Some month ago, I was told by veeam presales that it is not possible to access physical machines/shares outside of a virtual environment.
There must have been a misunderstanding between you and your sales representative, since it's possible to use file shares as a source for file copy and files to tape jobs. Though, in the later case the performance might be not ideal (see the thread referenced above).
Sorry not beeing clear with the question about the Version, I meant which product. I give a try with the Essentials.
Essentials is just a bundle shipped for the environment with 6 sockets and less. What really determines the feature list is the product edition (Free, Standard, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus). Though, the files to tape functionality are available in all editions.

Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Hi,

I have now installed the version but I am unable to locate any option to add CIFS.
Where is it hidden?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is the share visible from backup management server (the one tape device is attached to)? If so, go to tape job -> files to tape -> Files and folders -> and select the share as a source. Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Hi,

this is the GUI I get presented: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vior48m6bu8va ... 134225.jpg

There is nothing like "Tape Job" (do I need to have a physical tape installed to see the option? There is no tape in my test environment.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, the tape device should be added to management server and be visible in the "Backup infrastructure" in order for tape jobs to be shown in the ribbon. Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

So this means Veeam does not allow BackupToDisk Jobs?
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Thanks for your patience and me beeing a pain in the ass :-)
But I Need to verify how Veeam can handle NAS Systems, still foggy to me.
Do you think it is possible to have a call with you/somebody in order to solve my simple question instead of going through this text adventure? :-)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you don't want to utilize production tape device for testing purposes, you can deploy VTL tape library and use it as a temporary target for files to tape jobs. Otherwise, you can contact you sales representative and ask him/her whether there is a system engineer that can conduct a product demo for you. Thanks.
nosecam
Influencer

Post by nosecam »

Hi, me again :-)
So if I underdtand correctly, accessing CIFS, only direct backup to tape is possible, no backup to disk, right?
Do you Support incrementals when backing up CIFS?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

So if I underdtand correctly, accessing CIFS, only direct backup to tape is possible, no backup to disk, right? Do you Support incrementals when backing up CIFS?
You can also leverage file copy job. It's not incremental though. Thanks.