Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Backup Job Settings for Single Tape Drive (Direct Attached)

Post by EddyChong »

Hi,

I'm going to implement Veeam for a customer which has a single tape drive directly attached to the physical Veeam backup server.

For the tape job configuration, which settings i should choose? Can i use the same pool (only 1 drive) for both full and incrementals?

Does it recognize synthetic full vbk? Meaning on the day of synthetic full backup file created, it will be pushed to tape automatically.

Thank you
Eddyc
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Job Settings for Single Tape Drive (Direct Attach

Post by veremin »

For the tape job configuration, which settings i should choose?
It depends to the requirements you have. Answers to the following questions should clarify the situation. How many restore points you want to store on tape mediums? For how long? How often you're willing to rewrite mediums, etc.
Can i use the same pool (only 1 drive) for both full and incrementals?
Yes.
Does it recognize synthetic full vbk? Meaning on the day of synthetic full backup file created, it will be pushed to tape automatically.
Are we talking here about files to tape job or backup to tape one? The newly-created file should be recognized by both - in the former case, as a new full backup, in the latter, as a new .vbk file.

Thanks.