Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eis-stuff
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup and Replication Offsite Design

Post by eis-stuff »

Hello -

We are new to Veeam and are still assessing it for a 7TB environment on four Hyper-V guests. We are looking to have both an onsite and offsite repository. Replication needs to go to both on and offsite repositories. Backups should go at least offsite where we want to keep monthly and annual archives. It seems that Veeam requires the backup and the replication to run as separate jobs, effectively moving all that data twice and taking up quite a bit of space. Other solutions we have looked at appear to move the data once and use that same data for both replicas and backup.

Do I have that right? Must we run those as separate jobs?
What is the best practice design for running both backup and replication in such a scenario?

I realize this is a pretty broad question, but I just feel like I must be missing something key here. I want to like Veeam, but this seems like a deal breaker.

Many thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup and Replication Offsite Design

Post by foggy »

If you need both onsite and offsite replicas as well as offsite backups, you could create two replication jobs (onsite and offsite) and set up a backup job that will backup replicated VMs locally in the remote site. In this case VM data will be transferred between sites only once.

Also we're planning to add replica from backups functionality down the road. Stay tuned.
eis-stuff
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by eis-stuff »

Thanks for the reply. So we considered running backups from the replicated copies but was told (I am pretty sure) that it was not recommended. Also, does that require an additional Veeam license to run at the offsite location?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

eis-stuff wrote:Thanks for the reply. So we considered running backups from the replicated copies but was told (I am pretty sure) that it was not recommended.
It's not very efficient, indeed. For example, CBT cannot be used in this case. However, as you can see from the topiс referred above, some of the customers still adopt this scenario.
eis-stuff wrote:Also, does that require an additional Veeam license to run at the offsite location?
Yes, you would need to license host where backed up replica VMs reside.