Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
gbrunner
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Georg Brunner

Hyper-V Offhost Design Question

Post by gbrunner »

Hello,

i'm planing to deploy Veeam B&R with a three Hyper-v Nodes and about 40 VMs to protect.
The bigger servers has 65 GB RAM(two servers) and 12 GB to 8 GB RAM (10 servers).
I want to configure a Advanced Deployment because i don't want that backups effect the performance of the Hyper-v Nodes.
I have a physical Server which is the Veeam Backup Server and Backup Repository.

Is is possible to configure the the Veeam Backup Server as Offhost Backup Proxy(same physical machine)?
Is a advanced deployment necessary at this size of infrastructure?

Best Regards,
gb
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hyper-V Offhost Design Question

Post by veremin »

Is is possible to configure the the Veeam Backup Server as Offhost Backup Proxy(same physical machine)?
The role of off-host proxy can be assigned to physical machine with Hyper-V role enabled. The other requirements are covered here. As to the backup server, it can be installed on top of that machine.
Is a advanced deployment necessary at this size of infrastructure?
It's up to you to decide. With the onhost proxy all of necessary VM processing operations will be performed directly on the source Hyper-V host. While off-host one allows you to take this workload away to a dedicated physical machine (“offhost proxy”). So, if you source host is deprived of resources or you don't want to overload it, then, use offhost proxy.

Anyway, the best idea might be to test onhost proxy first and see whether it answers your requirements. If not, proceed to offhost proxy deployment.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Hyper-V Offhost Design Question

Post by Gostev »

gbrunner wrote:Is a advanced deployment necessary at this size of infrastructure?
Primary consideration is not the size, but the load. You may need to use off-host backup mode even with the single Hyper-V host with 10 VMs, if those VMs make the host run near capacity. But as long as your hosts' CPU and RAM resources are not overprovisioned, then you can stick to on-host backup mode regardless of the size of your infrastructure, and the number of VMs. Otherwise, the impact from additional load from on-host backup will be very noticeable and can even cause production outages.

Of course, host load levels only matter during the time when backup is scheduled to run. For example, with daily backups run during the night, it does not matter if the host is running at full capacity during the production hours - what matters is host's load during the backup window.