Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
dgapinski
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dan Gapinski

DPM cohabitating with Veeam on same physical server?

Post by dgapinski »

Hello, We have been tossing some ideas around with our backup to tape strategy. Currently we have a separate server running DPM backing up to a Dell PowerVault TL 2000. I'd like to move to Veeam, but we still have a couple physical server holdovers for the short term that should be eliminated in the next 6 months. That said, I want to have DPM take care of the remaining physicals until we can turn them off, and Veeam handle everything else.
-SO-
Would Veeam cohabitate well with Microsoft DPM 2012 - i.e., would not conflict/crash under any circumstances? Also, would there be any contention with the tape drive, provided that we do a good enough job keeping any tape schedules separate between Veeam and DPM? Anything else to consider? Thanks for your thoughts!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: DPM cohabitating with Veeam on same physical server?

Post by veremin »

It's not possible to share one tape device between two backup solutions, as one or the other will lock the device. You can completely disable VB&R tape scan, using DisableTapeSubsystem regkey. This way, you will be to keep using your current solution for archiving remaining physical servers. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: DPM cohabitating with Veeam on same physical server?

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Dan,

If Dell PowerVault TL 2000 supports library partitioning - you may split on the library level your drives and slots between two tape solutions, and have them working separately. Of course you would need to have at least two tape drives in your library, each backup application should be installed on the separate server and tape library partition should connected thru its own iSCSI target.