Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Veeam Best Practice - Patching and Rebooting VB&R Servers

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi,

What are Veeam's best practice recommendations for both restarting VB&R servers (Targets and VB&R servers) and applying Windows updates and restarting?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Best Practice - Patching and Rebooting VB&R Server

Post by foggy »

The only recommendation that comes from the top of my head is not restarting Veeam B&R components (management server and especially proxy and repository servers) while backups are running.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Post by AdrianHinton »

Thank you Foggy. That is my way of thinking and also what I have been doing. I was just hoping that I wasn't missing some recommendations such as stopping certain services.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, there's no need to do that.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

What about where SQL transactions logs / copy jobs are running ? those processes are more or less continuous.
btmaus
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Post by btmaus »

Does Veeam advise that we should disable all the jobs before we patch and reboot the Veeam servers?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Doing this will certainly not hurt.
stb74
Novice
Liked: never

[MERGED] Rebooting Proxy Server due to windows Patching

Post by stb74 »

Hi

I am looking some advice around windows patching of backup/proxy server when running SQL log backups. Before the reboot do we just disable the backup job which will then stop the log backup then reboot. What affect does this have on the log backup and do we just simply enable to job again when the server starts backup again.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Rebooting Proxy Server due to windows Patching

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

The only thing to keep in mind that you should reboot servers when all the jobs are disabled. Thanks!
rblanco
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rex Blanco

Re: Veeam Best Practice - Patching and Rebooting VB&R Servers

Post by rblanco »

Greetings to All,

I too am interested in how to perform monthly patching for our Veeam B & R environment:

Veeam Management Server and 6 proxy servers
Veeam One and Enterprise Manager seem straight forward but do correct me if mistaken.

From what i've read above, we have to disable ALL the backup jobs before rebooting, especially the management server.

So in our case we have Backup Copy and File Share backups running during the day 6am to 6pm - What we've done is to STOP the job "Gracefully" and sometimes it stops and other times we have to repeatedly STOP until it finally does so. Then right-click and disable.

Do we have to still need to disable the remaining jobs even though they are not scheduled to run during the day?

Is there any way to pause the jobs instead without receiving all the FAILURES being reported by Veeam
"5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM :: Job aborted due to server termination
5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM :: Processing finished with warnings at 5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM

Our Veeam infrastructure will be monitored soon by 3rd party and it looks like patching events in this environment will generate ALOT of tickets to manage and what we want to avoid. Again, is there a way to safely pause the jobs or a KB to help us plan our patching events.

Any guidance on this matter will be appreciated. What does the maintenance mode for the proxy's do and is their a maintenance mode for the Veeam Management Server?

Thank you in advance.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,
rblanco wrote:Do we have to still need to disable the remaining jobs even though they are not scheduled to run during the day?
To be on the safe side - yes. The main reason for this requirement is to make sure no jobs are running or are scheduled to run during the update/patching process.
rblanco wrote:Is there any way to pause the jobs instead without receiving all the FAILURES being reported by Veeam
"5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM :: Job aborted due to server termination
5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM :: Processing finished with warnings at 5/11/2021 2:49:28 PM
There is no way to pause jobs, only to disable them it is happening right now.
rblanco wrote:Our Veeam infrastructure will be monitored soon by 3rd party and it looks like patching events in this environment will generate ALOT of tickets to manage and what we want to avoid. Again, is there a way to safely pause the jobs or a KB to help us plan our patching events.
To avoid a lot of tickets backup server maintenance should be performed with a declared window. For example, in Veeam ONE we have an option to suppress alarms for backup servers during maintenance.
rblanco wrote:Any guidance on this matter will be appreciated. What does the maintenance mode for the proxy's do and is their a maintenance mode for the Veeam Management Server?
The maintenance mode for the proxy means that this proxy will not be assigned to any of the jobs. If you disable all jobs controlled by the backup server, then this effectively means that your backup server is in maintenance mode as no activity will be performed.

Thanks!
rblanco
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rex Blanco

Post by rblanco » 1 person likes this post

Thank you Vitally, S this is most helpful. Especially the Veeam One suppressing of alarms.