Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Can I safely span disks in windows and still backup w/ Veeam

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

We are rapidly deploying machines onto vSAN since it became supported in patch 4. For those that know, vSAN has a 2TB limitation per VMDK. This causes some issues for some of my guests which need a disk larger than 2TB. What I would like to do to overcome this limitation is to setup 5 1TB vmdks and then use the disk span option in Windows to present the data as a single 5TB volume. My worry is that when Veeam comes in to backup that machine, the disks will have to be snapped at the exact same time in order for the data to be intact (at least in my knowledge of a physical span/raid group this would be true.) Do I need to be concerned about backing up spanned or striped volumes with Veeam? Has anyone done this?

Chad
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Can I safely span disks in windows and still backup w/ V

Post by tsightler »

Backing up spanned disks is no problem. VMware handles the snapshot and all disks are snapped at the same time. This has been the common way to overcome the 2TB VMDK limit pretty much as long as VMware has existed, at least until VMware finally broke than limit with ESXi 5.5.
electricd7
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chad Killion

Re: Can I safely span disks in windows and still backup w/ V

Post by electricd7 » 1 person likes this post

Great..thats what I was hoping to hear. Too bad VMware took 2 steps back with vSAN and "re-imposed" the 2TB disk limit on vSAN datastores!