Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
LeoKurz
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Leonhard Kurz

SQL Instant Recovery with Point in Time Restore

Post by LeoKurz »

Hello,

I'm backing up my SQL DBs in Full Recovery Mode with VEEAM R&R and application awareness. Backup jobs run all right and logs are truncated. When I fire up such a db server with instant recovery, is it possible to roll back the db with the log files to a certain point in time? Trying this using the gui I get a "Backup media verification failed". To my naive understanding, everything is there: the consistent db and the log files (as the log files get truncated after the backup. As you might have guessed, I'm *not* a dba... Possible? And if, how? If not, does backup of SQL DBs in full recovery mode and log truncation with VEEAM make sense at all??

Thanx!

__Leo
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL Instant Recovery with Point in Time Restore

Post by foggy »

Leonhard, point-in-time SQL database recovery will be available in the upcoming Veeam B&R v8.

Currently point-in-time restores are available via SQL Management Studio only. Please find some more details here and here. Thanks!
LeoKurz
Veeam ProPartner

Post by LeoKurz »

Hi,

thanx for the clarification! AFAIK, point in time restore will be an explorer in v8. For me it would be very helpful if this would be also possible within a instant recovered machine. To my understanding with the current version, it's pretty useless to run SQL DBs in full recovery mode if only B&R is used for backup.

Cheers
__Leo
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you will be able to perform point in time restore of your SQL databases to instantly recovered SQL VM (or any other SQL server, whether VM or physical, for that matter). Thanks!
LeoKurz
Veeam ProPartner

Post by LeoKurz »

Will the Point in Time Recovery be performed within the instant recovered machine or do you recover the db in the explorer and move it to the recovered machine (could be a pain for large db's).

__Leo
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Leo,

Veeam Explorer for SQL Server will be using regular restore points to recover data from. Not sure I fully understand the question about instant recovered VM and just using Explorer. You will have to move this recovered data to production anyway, even after using Instant VM recovery.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

In SQL Server, point-in-time recovery is only possible to a running server. So you need to first boot the VM, and once the SQL is running, perform the recovery of databases as a separate process. Database file must be moved from backup to the recovered machine regardless of how you do the recovery, because database file starts changing immediately after you perform transaction log backup, and thus the backed up transaction logs can no longer be applied to the modified database state. Thanks!