Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ephracis
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoffer Brodd-Reijer

Backup job missing from tape backup

Post by ephracis »

Hi,

I have a weekly tape backup job which includes two backup jobs, both of which are run daily. The last week only one of the backup jobs were included in the tape backup job when I looked at History and selected the tape backup job. What could be the reason for this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup job missing from tape backup

Post by foggy »

Christoffer, do you mean that only backup files produced by one of the backup jobs were copied to tape this week?
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

How can I see which backups are on a specific tape? I can see the media set on it but not which VM and from which date. The media set is from the correct date, but as I said, in History I see that only one of the two backup jobs were included in the tape job.

I have always assumed that when Veeam performs a backup to tape job it will create a full backup and copy that over to the tape. Is this so?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Christoffer,
Your assumption applies only for file to tape jobs. Veeam B&R performs two types of tape jobs: Backup to tape, which actually archive a backup, created by regular backup to disk job and File to tape, which backup files from the existing Windows and Linux servers, added to Veeam B&R console.

Files or backups archived to tape media could be located in the console either in File catalogue, or under Tapes in the specific tape media properties.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

I am using Backup to tape. So what happens if there are a full backup on Friday, an incremental on Saturday and one on Sunday, then I do a Backup to Tape job? Will I get three files on the tape? Will I be able to restore VMs as they were on Sunday by using only the tape (let's say the backup server and everything in the room burned to the ground)? What if the full backup on Friday failed? How will that affect the Sunday tape job?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Christoffer,
So what happens if there are a full back up on Friday, an incremental on Saturday and one on Sunday, then I do a Backup to Tape job? Will I get three files on the tape? Will I get three files on the tape?
So your configuration looks as following:
-Friday - Full
-Saturday – Increment
-Sunday - Increment - Backup to tape (source is backup to disk job I assume?)

In that case Friday/Saturday/Sunday restore points produced by backup to disk job would be placed on tape (or tapes if the size of the data is larger than one tape) during its Sunday run.
Additionally, you may want to configure backup to tape job to run just after the backup to disk job, please check all available schedule options with the detailed explanation here
Will I be able to restore VMs as they were on Sunday by using only the tape (let's say the backup server and everything in the room burned to the ground)?
The restore from tape would be nice and easy. You would need to install new instance of VBR attach tape library and catalogue existing tapes. They would be recognized and displayed under the imported media pool. Once this is done, you can restore backups to your storage and then to infrastructure.
What if the full backup on Friday failed? How will that affect the Sunday tape job?
Tape job would end with nothing to backup wording, since there are no new restore points on disk.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

Ok, so just to make sure I understand you correctly: under my current setup I will get a vbk and two vib files on the tape?

So when a Backup to Tape, using a Backup to Disk job as source, is run it actually copies the latest vkb file, along with all subsequent vib files, onto the tape. If there are no new such files since the last time that job was run it will not do anything.

I am still not sure why one of the disk backups were not present in the latest backup to tape. As I said, I have two disk backup jobs and both of those are included in my weekly tape backup as source. But last backup only contained one of the backups. When I try to run the tape backup job again I get the "nothing to backup" message.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Ok, so just to make sure I understand you correctly: under my current setup I will get a vbk and two vib files on the tape? So when a Backup to Tape, using a Backup to Disk job as source, is run it actually copies the latest vkb file, along with all subsequent vib files, onto the tape. If there are no new such files since the last time that job was run it will not do anything.
The backup to tape job copies backup files that have been generated since the latest job run. Type of files to copy depends on corresponding settings - whether or not "Process incremental" option is checked.

As to your case, it seems that vbk and 2 vib files will be copied on Sunday.
I am still not sure why one of the disk backups were not present in the latest backup to tape. As I said, I have two disk backup jobs and both of those are included in my weekly tape backup as source. But last backup only contained one of the backups. When I try to run the tape backup job again I get the "nothing to backup" message.
If you are sure that there are backups that have not been copied before, then, open a ticket with our support team and let them confirm your setup.

Thanks.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

I have not checked "Process incremental", so perhaps the reason why one job was missing was because of some failures and thus no full backup, only incrementals. I noticed that in the job it says "Backup file XXX on This server requires retry, postponing". Then on a subsequent it's not even trying to copy files from that backup. Maybe there's no new full backups? If I run a tape backup, with two backup jobs as source, and only one of them has created new backup files, will the History log for the tape backup tell me that it didn't find any new files for that specific job or will it just be missing?

I have spotted another issue: sometimes the backup to disk jobs doesn't contain all VMs. How does Veeam build the VM list?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I have not checked "Process incremental", so perhaps the reason why one job was missing was because of some failures and thus no full backup, only incrementals.
Yes. Most likely, no new full backup had been created by one of backup jobs, and backup to tape job had nothing to archive for this backup job.
Maybe there's no new full backups?
It's possible. Though, it's hard to tell without seeing your environment.
If I run a tape backup, with two backup jobs as source, and only one of them has created new backup files, will the History log for the tape backup tell me that it didn't find any new files for that specific job or will it just be missing?
I'm not sure whether History log contains this information (either warning or error), as different source backup jobs might have different schedules and there is no strong need to warn user each time a backup to tape job can't find new restore points for one particular backup job.
I have spotted another issue: sometimes the backup to disk jobs doesn't contain all VMs. How does Veeam build the VM list?
Can you elaborate on it?

Thanks.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

So my original problem was due to no full backups present and the tape backup not processing incrementals.

Regarding the new issue, there are no errors or warnings. It says "Building VM list" but the list of VMs included in the backup only includes one, when it should include a dozen. So how does Veeam build this list? How should I troubleshoot this issue?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What is chosen as a source for backup to disk job? Individual VMs or container (folder, host, etc.)? As to troubleshooting, the best way to address any technical issues is to contact support team. Thanks.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

It is a folder.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

May be, for some reason vCenter returned incorrect VM folder structure. What happens if you go "Virtual Machines" node -> Category view and drill down to corresponding VM folder? Will the folder content be shown correctly? Have you tried to rescan vCenter? Thanks.
ephracis
Influencer

Post by ephracis »

Yes I see what I should see. It was a one-time thing, next backup went fine. But still confused as to why and how to prevent it from occurring again.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If this issue shows up again, please, open a ticket with our support team a let them investigate it directly. Thanks.