Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Update #4 Auto-Update Licenses

Post by nunciate »

I have a question related to automatically updating the license keys after installing Update #4. I figured it would be best to post here.

We have 22 licenses and I have a single file with all 22 in it. During some promotional period 10 of my license keys were upgraded for free to Enterprise Plus level.
When I look at the site I have a keys for 12 standard and 10 enterprise plus.

The issue is that Veeam will only let you use 1 key at a time however I have 1 backup server and it needs to have all 22 keys so I still use the original consolidated 22 license key.

I am worried that if I turn on the auto-update feature it will download and install a key with only 10 or maybe only 12 licenses. Was this changed with Update #4? Can we have multiple keys so that we have the full license count in the software?

And yes, I know I can call support and that they can combine all my keys but I don't think you can combine enterprise and enterprise plus into a single key. I also don't want to loose some of the time I have on some of these. They were not all purchased at the same time. We will probably true everything up at our next renewal but for now they will stay the same.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Update #4 Auto-Update Licenses

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alan,

You're right that combining two keys with different edition is not possible and our license auto-update engine will not be able to download the updated key for you unless you have different contract IDs (support IDs) specified in these license keys.

BTW, can you please tell me what license key (for 22 sockets) edition do you currently have?

If you want to use license auto-update, then you should have a single license key registered with Veeam and associated with your contract information. The situation you have now, should still be handled manually by our sales rep for the reasons you have described above.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

License auto update functionality will download the key that corresponds to the Support ID listed in your currently installed license file.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

We originally had 10 keys from a while back and we purchased an additional 12 last year sometime. When we purchased the new keys I asked to have them all combined and someone from there sent me the combined 22 license key.
The combined key never did show up on the website and that is fine. Later I noticed we had the option to upgrade 10 of our keys to Enterprise Plus because we had renewed them during that promotional period so I chose to upgrade those.

We have a huge project in the works and expect approval on that very soon now. Once I have that approval we will be purchasing some additional licenses, upgrading all of them to Enterprise Plus and true up all so they expire on the same date so we can get a single key.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

That's a good plan. In this case just wait until the above is done, then install the new combined license key manually, then enabled license auto update.