Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mmun
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: michael mun

Backup folder hierarchy

Post by mmun »

I am backing up multiple servers using Vstorage API SAN only. I setup a backup job and selected a destination folder on a DAS device. Is there a way to separate server backup files so that the destination folder isn't storing all server backups in one place? Normally, it wouldn't be a problem until i access this folder and see multiple files per individual server. What we end up with is a huge folder with a ton of files. It would be great if each server can get segregated into its own folder without needing to create multiple jobs. Is this possible?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Backup folder hierarchy

Post by tsightler »

I don't think what your asking about is currently possible, and you could almost say it runs contrary to the ideas Veeam is built on. Veeam uses a de-dupe engine to eliminate redundant blocks between VM's. This is a big win, especially if you're VM's are deployed from a template, however, that "de-duping" only has maximum advantage if your store multiple servers within the same VBK file as "de-dupe" is limited to removing blocks within a single VBK file. If you split your backups to an individual file per server most of the advantages of de-dupe are removed.

Basically, think of the VBK file as a big pool of disk storage where blocks are saved, not as a backup file for a single VM, similar to the way tape was a big pool of storage that stored backups from many servers. Generally you did not create one tape per server.

Still, I can understand certain cases with this would be useful. Right now I think if you want this you'll have to make separate jobs. We actually started out with many small jobs writing to different directories, some with only a single server, some with a small handful of related servers, but we've slowly switched to a setup with fewer and fewer jobs with more servers per job (some have 20-25 servers).

Also, you say you see "multiple file per individual server" but you really should only see multiple files per individual job, unless you're creating jobs with only one server. Perhaps I misunderstood your question.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Michael, I do not understand the issue and question either.
mmun
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: michael mun

Post by mmun »

Tsightler answered my question. All I was looking for was whether or not a job, which includes backing up multiple servers, can automatically create subfolders in the destination folder for every server that it backs up.

thank you,