Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
malokidaemon
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Local Storage and Backups

Post by malokidaemon »

Apologies if this is a duplicate post - did a little bit of searching, but didn't find any obvious results. Also didn't find anything specific that I could point to in the documentation so far. Anyhow, a quick question on the functionality of the Veeam Backup and Replication Enviornment based upon the System Requirements.

In short, the System Requirements for Backup and Replication (and, it seems, for the Backup Proxy, although that does not come in to play as I am simply using the free version of Veeam for the moment) are fairly minimal. The question is, during the backup process (using either Network or Appliance Mode), how much data is actually stored on the host acting as the Veeam Backup & Replication server (or, for those able to use proxies, on the proxy) before being written to the backup target? The minimal storage requirements (and the discussion in the Backup Architecture documentation) seem to imply that only a little bit of data might actually ever be present on the server itself and data is just constantly handed off to the target. Am I interpreting this correctly or have I missed something (perhaps in the Free/Paid versions)?

The main reason I ask is that:
a) I'm hoping that, if the Free version is allowed to use the Appliance Mode, that putting the Veeam B&R server on the same ESXi host might help with backup times a little bit (don't expect significant changes, though, as the target will still be a remote filesystem and not SAN storage),
b) At the moment, I don't have a lot of storage to play with on the ESXi host (the two VMs are relatively large for our small environment), and so am hoping that only minimal storage would be necessary on the B&R host.

Typically at this point, the VM backup is also going to be relatively simple - I just needs some static versions of the Virtual Machines in question - changes will happen to them relatively infrequently, and I just need a baseline to work from (although hoping to keep downtime to a minimum :) )

Thanks in advance for your replies to a relatively new Veeam user!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam Local Storage and Backups

Post by Gostev »

Hi and welcome!

Regardless of the product edition, no data is stored on backup proxy... everything goes direct to target.
Virtual Appliance mode should work, if your Veeam server is a VM as well.

Thanks!
malokidaemon
Novice

Post by malokidaemon »

Hi, Gostev,

Thanks for the quick response. Basically what I was thinking of doing was creating a small (in terms of storage) Virtual Machine on the ESXi host in order to run B&R and facilitate Appliance Mode as opposed to Network Mode for accessing the VM Data. It sounds likeI won't have to worry about using too much local storage to perform these tasks.

Just to clarify one point in your post - you explicitly reference "backup proxy," and based upon documentation, an actual Backup Proxy is not an available feature in the Free Edition. My impression is that, in that case, essentially the B&R server itself is acting as both B&R and (quote-unquote) proxy, correct? (In essence, we're still talking about no storage on the host running B&R, and direct transfer to backup target.)

Thanks again for your help!

Matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct. There is the "default proxy" installed on Veeam server, you just cannot see it, as the backup infrastructure management tab is not available in Free Edition.
malokidaemon
Novice

Post by malokidaemon »

Thanks, Gostev,

Sorry it took so long to get to your post - somehow I missed the notification of response for this one. Glad to know I'm not too far off the mark!

Matt