Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
christiankelly
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Christian Kelly

Scheduling transforms independently of backup jobs end time

Post by christiankelly »

I'm not sure if I'm the only one this would be helpful for, or if I'm missing something, but I have a LOT of jobs that run overnight and I would love some more granularity in when the transforms occur. Right now at night I run the backups and even on the weekends I don't want the huge IO hit to happen when the first backup finishes but others are still behind running or going to run.
I would love to have an option that would allow me to run the transforms at a set time, then I could stage them throughout the day when nothing is running rather than at the end of the job.
Does anyone else think this would be helpful? Or is there another way to solve this that I have not thought of?
Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Scheduling transforms independently of backup jobs end t

Post by Gostev »

christiankelly wrote:I would love to have an option that would allow me to run the transforms at a set time, then I could stage them throughout the day when nothing is running rather than at the end of the job
And that's exactly my concern with adding this capability. Because this means your backup process will not be fully complete during your backup window. You will not have your backup files ready when the working hours start. And then all of a sudden transformation process begins and starts causing issues to restores, SureBackup, Backup Copy etc. for a few hours due to locked backup files and massive backup storage performance impact. And anything that impacts RTOs or even completely prevents you from being able to perform restores during the day, sounds like a bad idea to me.