Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Restore Point settings for CopySync Jobs

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi,

I was using ShadowProtect before using VB&R7 and it would work by taking incremental backups (Restore Points) throughout the day which got collapsed by imagemanager each night into daily increments (RP's). At the end of each week the daily increments (RP's) were collapsed into weekly increments (RP's). At the end of each month, the weekly increments (RP's) would be collapsed into monthly increments (RP's). This is pretty much what I want to achieve with VB&R7.

In the copy job settings under the target section, there are settings for 'Restore points to keep:' and 'Keep the following restore points for archival purposes'.

After one year of backups for a particular job, I want to be left with 11 monthly RP's, 3 weekly RP's and 7 daily RP's at the target repository the copysync job uses. The restore policy that I am bound by states that I can recover a file down to a certain point in time for the last week, to a weekly resolution for the last month after that and a monthly resolution down through the previous year(s).

What settings in the target section of the copysync job do I need to have to achieve this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore Point settings for CopySync Jobs

Post by veremin »

What settings in the target section of the copysync job do I need to have to achieve this?
You should set:

- 7 as a number of restore points to keep
- 3 as a weekly backup
- 11 as a monthly backup

As to the description of backup copy job GFS mechanism, please, see corresponding section of our Help Center.

Thanks.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Post by AdrianHinton »

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to contact us, if any other help be needed. Thanks.