Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bariseryilmaz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Baris ERYILMAZ

Veeam SAN Switch Connection

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi all,

we installed veeam version 7.0.0.690. We can backing up some esx servers but our read speed 6MB/s and write speed 869KB/s. When we are tested this software this read the data 45Mb/s.

I installed HBA but the veeam software can't use this adapter, it working on network. So our 1 job working on up to 40h:)

How can i configure Veeam software for use the HBA Adapters

Regards,
Baris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam SAN Switch Connection

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Baris,

Can you please post your bottleneck stats for the backup job? As regards using the HBA adapters, can you please clarify your question? Do you want to retrieve data using these adapters or write backups to the repository?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I would also like to have more detailed description of your setup. What kind of storage do you have, how do you connect it, where Veeam B&R is installed, etc.
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi,

foggy;
we are using EVA storage and this directly zonned veeam server. Our veeam server working on is standalone, there is only one proxy server and repository server. Our infra servers, EVA storage and Veeam server is directly conneted a fiber switvh via HBA. So we are using this fiber network.

Vitaly S.;
We want to veeam read and write data using this HBA. How can i get the bottleneck stats, or a screen shot under job's statistics menu? its: source %99,

Regards,
Baris ERYILMAZ
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you configured Veeam to work in Direct SAN mode? Do you see VMFS volumes mounted to the backup proxy in Windows Disk Management snap-in? What is going to be the repository for your backups?
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi,

I see my eva volumes under Disk Management snap-in on veeam server and i add this partition as backup repository on veeam we can use this for backup. But the network speed so low even KB/s. Veeam, EVA, Servers have one more network adapters. Can i choose the veeam server use HBA? I guess my problem this.

We also did not do a setup or configuration namely Direct SAN mode.

Regards,
Baris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

So you do see these NTFS formatted partitions on the backup server and use them as a repository, correct?

Given that you have bottleneck reported as source, choosing the HBA adapter will not change anything. In your current setup VMs are backed up using network connection to the ESXi server. Management interface on the host is throttled and can be indeed very slow. If you want to have better performance for the backup job, you need to configure either Direct SAN mode or deploy virtual proxy and use HotAdd backup mode.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Am I understanding right that you use the same storage both for production VMs and backups? This is not considered as best practice as it creates a single point of failure (should something happen with underlying storage, you will lost both production VMs and backup data).

To get better backup performance, you need to present production VMFS LUNs to a backup server.
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

"So you do see these NTFS formatted partitions on the backup server and use them as a repository, correct?" Yes,

ImageImage this performance is normal ?

ESXi server performance is normally, i think this infra servers and veeam can use HBA backing up speed faster than now.

Firstly; there is one more than network adapter include HBA on veeam server, Which adapter is using by my veeam server. How can find it ?
Secondly; How can i setup Direct SAN mode or HotAdd backup mode. Is there guide about this mode?

Regards,
Baris
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

bariseryilmaz wrote:Secondly; How can i setup Direct SAN mode or HotAdd backup mode. Is there guide about this mode?
Have you reviewed the link provided above? There's also a corresponding user guide section. Hope this helps.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Job performance is not the best one. Is it a full or incremental job run?
2. What network adapter to choose is decided by Windows Server you have deployed Veeam to. What routing do you currently have configured for your backup server?
3. Please review Alexander's post on more info on how to setup these modes.

Thank you!
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi,

foggy,
"Am I understanding right that you use the same storage both for production VMs and backups?", Of course not, VMs in a different storage to backup. We have EVA storage and created a few partition and zoned Veeam server. And we formatted this partition on Veeam server disk management snap-in and i add this for backup repository. Namely veeam server directly connect EVA storage with fiber.

Also,
Vitaly S.
In my first post, I could not find where this transport modes configuration on veeam server. You can say, Backup Infrastructure -> Backup Repository -> Click server and then Properties -> choose your configuration type. Even you can say your connection type look like Direct SAN, you can test that and you can give some link about all of them. Namely all post writer not professionnel this veeam product like you.

Finally i found.
Thanks anyway
Regards,
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

The fact you created different "volumes" does not change anything, they are still running over the same EVA hardware. Supposing they are also sharing the same raid volumes, this basically means any backup activity created a double I/O on this storage: all the reads from the vmware datastores, and all the reads and writes created by Veeam when it saves into the array again. If this is the situation, for sure the bottleneck is source, it's "bombed" by both the I/O streams.

Try to use a simple external volume, even the disks inside the physical veeam server, to see if there is any difference.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi Luca,

thank you for your advice, i know this situation. I said before, backup storage and vm storage are different hardware system. And we are live monitoring storage devices, there isn't any problem. So the reason is not I/O performance. i'll test this Direct SAN configuration and write here the result.

Regards,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Baris, please let us know the performance you get after running backup job via Direct SAN Access proxy. Thanks!
bariseryilmaz
Novice

Post by bariseryilmaz »

Hi,

We fixed this issue.

The transport mode about data reading and hardware connection with HBA and direct San configuration are not enought on veeam console. The Veeam Server is directly connect the VM's SAN via HBA and this partition/LUN present to it.

Regards,
Baris