Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
0zzY
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: 0zzy

Priority on schedulded job

Post by 0zzY »

Hi all!

I have created 5 replication job, they have to run sequentially from 4:00 am to 22:00pm, how can i schedule this?
Is it right to set continuous [/u ]to the first job and second job after the first, third after the second ecc..? or can i set all continuous?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Priority on schedulded job

Post by foggy »

Why do you want the jobs to run sequentially? If you want to optimize the replication window, it is recommended to start the jobs one after another with short intervals and let Veeam B&R's parallel processing automatically handle their execution.

Btw, how frequent do you want them to run? If you set the job to run continuously, it will start the next cycle right after the current one is completed, is that what you really need?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

How many source proxy servers are included in replication jobs? If just one, you can set 1 as a number of concurrent tasks the proxy server can handle, and execute jobs one by one within short period. This way, the replication jobs will be processed in sequential order. Thanks.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote:Why do you want the jobs to run sequentially? If you want to optimize the replication window, it is recommended to start the jobs one after another with short intervals and let Veeam B&R's parallel processing automatically handle their execution.
you say one after another, for me one after another is sequentially, no? :)
Btw, how frequent do you want them to run? If you set the job to run continuously, it will start the next cycle right after the current one is completed, is that what you really need?
i want minimize the RPO so i think i need to run them one after another and continuosly.

How will you do that?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

0zzY wrote:you say one after another, for me one after another is sequentially, no? :)
I meant starting them one by one with short periods, 5 minutes for example, instead of chaining the jobs using the "After this job" scheduling option.
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

foggy wrote: I meant starting them one by one with short periods, 5 minutes for example, instead of chaining the jobs using the "After this job" scheduling option.
i choose the "chaining" option becouse it's seems useful for my score, if i set to run every job every 5 min, the next run is calculated from the end of the job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please, be aware that backup chaining might lead to a number of issues. So, it's worth familiarizing yourself with them before proceeding. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

0zzY wrote:if i set to run every job every 5 min, the next run is calculated from the end of the job?
If you're talking about "Periodically every" option of a particular job, then with such scheduling settings it will start each 5 minutes (e.g. 04:00, 04:05, 04:10..). However, 5 minutes is pretty short RPO, not sure you will be able to do that (depends on the amount of changes produced by the VMs in the job). Continuous replication is more reasonable if you want to get minimal RPO (in this case each subsequent job run will start on completion of the previous job run, so the RPO will be equal to the time required to complete a job).
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also be aware that any error or warning generating a retry operation will anyway change the effective schedule...
Do you also have backups to be done on some of the same VMs? I will for example plan for a "blackout" period for replication so to free the VM and then be available to backup operations.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
0zzY
Enthusiast

Post by 0zzY »

dellock6 wrote:Also be aware that any error or warning generating a retry operation will anyway change the effective schedule...
Do you also have backups to be done on some of the same VMs? I will for example plan for a "blackout" period for replication so to free the VM and then be available to backup operations.
You are right dellock6, an error will compromise all the other jobs! I have also backup job but they run replication is not allowed becouse in a different time window.
-----
Ciao Luca, hai ragione non avevo considerato il fatto che un errore, comporta il fermo dei job seguenti.
Avevo comunque schedulato i job di replica saltando l'arco di tempo nel quale avvengono i backup (3h).
Tu come scheduleresti le repliche?
Grande come sempre e grazie per tutte le info che condividi sul tuo sito e nei forum!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

0zzy, if you'd like to communicate on language other than English, kindly please use Private Messages feature of this forum. Thank you!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Since you already planned a blackout period in replicas to run the backups (Anton that was the message in italian), all that it's left to do is to schedule replicas at the pace you want and use parallel processing + proxy cuncurrency to trigger their execution. If you have enough resources, obviously you can run all of them. About shceduling, just set the execution time slightly different one from the other. Scheduler will take care of the rest.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1