Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
modfather1983
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Walsh

Backing Up ESX to ESXI?

Post by modfather1983 »

Hi All,

We are currently looking at Veem as a purchace for our company (Have not seen it in Action yet). At the moment we have 2 esx host running esx2.5 and about 10 virtual servers.

We are looking at putting a DR in place and veem has come up in a lot of converations, But nobody seems to be able to answer us the question, is it possible for me to buy another server with x amount of storage and x amount of RAM, Backup my virual machines from my esx envoirment to my new server running esxi or do i need to have a full blown esx box running?

Any help with this would be greatly appreicated
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backing Up ESX to ESXI?

Post by Gostev »

Hello Jason, we support replication to ESXi, but you cannot use ESXi as backup destination. For complete list of supported backup targets, please refer to the System Requirements section of the Release Notes document (available on our web-site, and in the download package). Thank you!
modfather1983
Lurker
Full Name: Jason Walsh

Post by modfather1983 »

Thanks for the quick response
shamus
Novice
Full Name: shamus

Post by shamus »

Hello,

You could backup to a local ESX server and then copy to a remote ESXi.

So vSphere 1 and vSphere 2 server in the same server room. vSphere 2 server backs up vSphere 1 and then every night or once a week have a copy job to a ESXi server in a second data centre. I have tried this but need to clear up the old .vbk jobs in the second data centre, these keep building up and consuming disk space which is not a problem yet - any thoughts on this last point appreciated.

Regards...