Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DeanGTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dean Scaife

Direct SAN access query

Post by DeanGTS »

I have production systems on a FC SAN (no iSCSI) which is mapped to our ESX environment, I haven't been able to persuade the organisation to add an iSCSI controller to our SAN.

Unable to get permission for an additional mapping to the on-site veeam proxy from the HBA, with our SAN requiring an update to allow NVIP mapping to proxy vm.

Just wondered if adding the individual vmdk as an additional hard disk to the veeam proxy, would allow SAN mode for the job?
Veeam job fails with access error as I understand it requires access to the LUN hosting the vmdk, I can see the volumes un-mounted on the proxy as expected, so thinking someone may have an idea if there's a workaround.

Thank you very much for your time :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Direct SAN access query

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The only way to configure Direct SAN mode is to present VMFS LUNs (where your VMs reside) to the backup proxy server. If you cannot do this, then you may want to consider using hotadd backup mode for better job performance. Thanks!
DeanGTS
Enthusiast

Post by DeanGTS »

Ahhh, nm then :)

I thought I'd found a possible bodge/workaround for my environment. Thanks Vitaliy, will look into hotadd backup mode in the meantime until our proxy has the correct LUN access!
DeanGTS
Enthusiast

Hot Add/Virtual Applicance mode

Post by DeanGTS »

"Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions."
When trying to force job with VM Hot Add mode, this is all I seem to receive & guessed that it would attempt to mount the disk local on the proxy but, doesn't seem to try.
Do I need to add all the VM disks manually first?
Should these be added as Independent & Non-persistent?

Thank you for your time
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dean, does the proxy server have access to the source datastore?

Please check this KB article outlining limitations of using hotadd mode. Probably some of them apply to your case.
DeanGTS
Enthusiast

Post by DeanGTS »

Hi foggy,
Thanks I've been looking through that KB article earlier, though unable to get the test manual Hot Add working either
VMware fails to add the existing disks reporting;
Failed to add disk scsi0:0.
Failed to power on scsi0:0.

They can be added manually but, once Independent and Non-persistent is selected as required it fails..
Proxy vm is hosted on the same SAN & also on the same VMware hosts as job target!?

To me it seems that it doesn't even attempt to HotAdd the vmdk to the proxy, nor able to mount disks in the way you need for this to work o_O
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Possible reasons of this error are discussed in this topic. If you feel this is not your case, please contact technical support for closer investigation.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

I know this is an older post but I just ran across the same error No backup proxy is able to process this VM due to proxy processing mode restrictions.
I figured I would update this in case someone else comes through here.

Check the Proxy Transport Mode Settings. Make sure Failback to network mode is check in the options. That was the issue for me.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alan, thanks for posting. It is correct that you have to enable failover option if direct SAN access backup mode is not available, however the OPs post was a bit on a different topic.