Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cstaubli
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian

Repository available under multiple ips

Post by cstaubli »

Hello all

Recenty I've migrated backup proxies to a separate network. Separate means separated from VMware network, firewall rules are in place, backup works. However, backup repository is now located in both VMware network and Veeam network where proxy is located. Veeam Master server is located in VMware network. Although I've configured both proxy and backup repository by name and setup hosts entry for proxies, backup traffic still goes over firewall to nic located in VMware network rather than to the nic of same backup repository located in Veeam network. I suspect that Veeam master server does to hostname to ip lookup and sends this ip address as connect to host to proxy rather than the name to connect to. Is there any way to force that name to ip lookup is done on proxy rather than on master server?

If i use ping backup repository by name on both master server and backup proxy, different (correct) addresses are returned, for master server it's the address located on VMware network, for backup proxy it's the address located on Veeam network.

Many thanks in advance
Christian
Veeam 7
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Repository available under multiple ips

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

cstaubli wrote:Is there any way to force that name to ip lookup is done on proxy rather than on master server?
Veeam backup server establishes the connection, so I would suggest editing hosts file on the backup server, should help. As an alternative, you can re-add your backup repositories via "required" IP address.
cstaubli
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian

Re: Repository available under multiple ips

Post by cstaubli »

Ok, works with repository setup with different ip address instead of name. No nice, but works