Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hans_lenze
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Networkless backups using VIX

Post by hans_lenze »

For an IAAS platform I'd like to enable networkless backups as the preferred way to make backups.
I found the following article to change the order of VIX and network backups: http://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/veea ... using-vss/

Is the information provided still valid for v7 and v8?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Networkless backups using VIX

Post by veremin »

Version 8 isn't released yet. As to version 7, the mentioned registry key is still applicable. InverseVssProtocolOrder (DWORD) makes jobs always try network-less processing (VIX) mode before network one. Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Just a follow-up to Hans to say thanks, always nice to see my blog is useful :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
hans_lenze
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times

Post by hans_lenze »

Just to get all the information on the same page.
Backups using VIX Library instead of network access have one drawback: No Application Aware Processing without modifications to the virtual machine.

Application Aware Processing can be enabled by using an account with SID 500 (local or domain administrator, a big no-no in my book) for the backup or by disabling UAC in the virtual machine.
This does not mean that the backups are inconsistent! The backups will use the VSS writers and properly quiescence the filesystem and/or applications in the virtual machine. The only thing you're missing out on is the log truncating (the script that normally takes care of this is unable to start because of UAC)

Source: http://www.veeam.com/kb1104 tested and found to be valid
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, you're right. As mentioned in the adjacent thread, either disabling UAC or using "real" administrator account is required to make AAIP work over VIX. Thanks.
bbibber
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Guy Schellens

[MERGED] Application-Aware Image Processing

Post by bbibber »

Hi Everybody

I have a question about Application-Aware Image Processing.
The FAQ states :
It is a multi-step process that consists of detecting applications running inside of the processed VM; using Microsoft VSS to perform application-level quiescence to ensure that each application state is transactionally consistent; applying application-specific settings to prepare each application to perform VSS-aware restore on the next VM startup; and finally performing transaction logs pruning for certain applications if backup was successful. The whole process is fully automated.
In our setup Veeam has also to backup VMs on a specific network. This network isn't reachable by any Veeam software, vCenter or whatever for security reasons. Can Veeam still use Application-Aware Image Processing or do I have to rely on VMware Tools Quiescence?

Sincerely
Guy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can still use AAIP without having direct network connection to the backed up VMs. Just make sure you have VMware Tools up and running in these VMs.
bbibber
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Guy Schellens

Post by bbibber »

Hi Vitaliy,

Read the blog entry of Luca. This is really amazing technology. We have disabled AAIP for the VM's in that network. Can't wait to turn it on tomorrow :-)
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, but please also look through the topic Vladimir has referenced above to have everything set up properly.