Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
trudesea
Influencer
Liked: never

Scheduled reports emailed as vmr files only?

Post by trudesea »

Hi,

Is there a way to specify the report should be sent as an excel file? It makes no sense to send out a vmr to managers.

As it works right now, you have to either:

1. Install the client on each recipient's pc , in which there is no option just to install the report viewer
2. Convert the report myself and then send with my corporate email system, which negates the convenience of scheduling and emailing in the first place....I could do that without the scheduling function.

So, please tell me there is a secret switch somewhere for this :D If there is not, then I would seriously consider an enhancement for this functionality.

Thanks,
Tim
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Scheduled reports emailed as vmr files only?

Post by Gostev »

Hello Tim, I see two options at this time.

1. Have Veeam Monitor generate HTML reports instead (they can be viewed immediately). Only performance reports can be generated with this option, so applicability of this workaround depends on what reports you need.

2. Script the report generation:
a) Have Veeam Monitor upload created VMRs to the designated share
b) Use the following script from any computer with Report Viewer and Office installed:

Code: Select all

VeeamReportViewer.exe myvmr.vmr (no destination argument – will add in the next version).
This command puts the produced reports into My Documents\My Veeam Reports\TODAYS_DATE
c) Upload created reports to some share, or use PowerShell to create and send email with the produced report files attached to required managers or SharePoint list.

Sending VMRs has its own benefits too, since they are in proprietary binary format which cannot be easily modified.

Hope this helps.
trudesea
Influencer

Post by trudesea »

Gostev,

Yes that helps and gives me some more options I can work with. There are a few light bulbs over my head now.

Unfortunately the report I need to email out is the datastore report, which as you mention is trend only. :)

Thanks,
Tim
ceebee
Influencer
Full Name: Chet

Post by ceebee »

Is this issue resolved yet? I scheduled some reports and it still emails out as .vmr attachments.
If i have to email this out to the not so savvy team members - all i am looking for is an format that can be scheduled and per the product this can be scheduled as an excel file, then why the .vmr format? Am i missing something?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Veeam Monitor scheduled reports can only be sent as VMR files in the current version, this is by design and there are no other options. We are looking at adding option in the future releases to allow generating actual documents instead of VMR file.

Please note however that all it takes to open VMR file is just double click it, so most people should be able to do this, even not so savvy.
ceebee
Influencer
Full Name: Chet

Post by ceebee »

I have tried using opening the .vmr files with no luck. Tried it with excel, word, adobe etc...What application can be used to open these files?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Chet,

VMR files can be viewed with Veeam Report Viewer installed together with Veeam Monitor. Veeam Report Viewer is intended for processing .vmr files — it uses data collected in the .vmr files so you could further generate reports in Excel format.