Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
aituser
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Falk Weber

Hyper-V 6to4 Adapter

Post by aituser »

Hello everyone,

we evaluate VEEAM One as a monitring tool in our company. We use it to monitor our 3 Hyper-V Clusters.
Now VEEAM gives us the following error message on every Hyper-V host in each Cluster: "Network Outbound Errors" (288) is above a defined threshold (2) for '6TO4 Adapter'
The problem is, that I am not able to find any issues on our Hyper-V hosts, no records in the eventlog or device manager. I know that the MS Cluster-Communication is done via IPv6 though the 6to4 adapter.

That is why I am asking, do we really have an issue on every host or a normal behaviour?
I hope you have any ideas.

PS: I've set up the perfoman on one Hyper-V host with to indicators, outgoing and inbound errors on the 6to4-adapter. I get a constand rate of 82 (no variation, just exact 82) outgoing errors and 0 for inbound.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Hyper-V 6to4 Adapter

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Falk,

Having Network Outbound errors for hosts is not a normal behavior. Do you use IPv6 only in our VI or you do have hosts with IPv4 network configuration? What about VMs residing on these hosts, do they have any network issues? Any packet drops?

Thanks!
aituser
Novice

Post by aituser »

All Hyper-V Clusters are configured with IPv4 only. We do not use IPv6 anywhere, not in the Cluster, nor in VMs.
aituser
Novice

Post by aituser »

I disabled the IPV6 stack from Windows with the regkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents on all Hosts.
After a reboot perfmon does not Count any more errors on the 6to4 Adapter. and maybe 20 min later VEEAM ONE recognized this too.

But I do not know that causes this errors :(
Disabling IPv6 is not a final solution.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it's not, but at least Hyper-V stopped generating errors on this behavior. I have made a quick search and it seems like this solution can also be helpful > http://www.etdot.com/2012/06/25/hyper-v ... g-packets/
aituser
Novice

Post by aituser »

I am still looking for a solution. I tried the things discribed in you post. But I have not problem with the VM NIC-Adapter, my issues are on the Hyper-V Hosts.
And the 6to4 Adapter is for my understanding only a logical adapter on the Host.

I tried to disable the IPv4/6 Large Send Offloading on the Host-NICs, without success. The 6to4 adapter can't be configured.

Till now, disabling IPv6 is the only solution. I'll keep you updated ...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The strange thing is that I do have ipv6 enabled on my hosts NICs, but I do not see these errors, we'll ask our QC team to investigate it further as well.
aituser
Novice

Post by aituser » 1 person likes this post

I found a hint in the MS KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us

"
About the 6to4 tunneling protocol
By default, the 6to4 tunneling protocol is enabled in Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 when an interface is assigned a public IPv4 address (that is, an IPv4 address that is not in the ranges 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, or 192.168.0.0/16). 6to4 automatically assigns an IPv6 address to the 6to4 tunneling interface for each such address that is assigned, and 6to4 will dynamically register these IPv6 addresses on the assigned DNS server. If this behavior is not desired, we recommend that you disable IPv6 tunnel interfaces on the affected hosts.
"

They say, if you use a non private ipv4 adress than the 6to4 adapter start working. Why I not fully understand. And we use non private IPv4 Adresse for our iSCSI Interfaces.
I now disabled the 6to4 adapter in the device manager (it is hidden), this stops generating errors. This is ofcouse not a solution but Microsoft says it is okay (see quote above)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for taking time to update this topic.
aituser
Novice

Post by aituser »

I forgot to say, that we are useing Hyper-V 2012R2.