Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kevin@wei.com
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kevin Wood

BE 2012, Veeam 7 R2 and One Tape Library

Post by kevin@wei.com »

I've read through the forum and I'm not quite seeing an answer to my question and I am hoping someone here may be able to shed some light on the issue for me.

I have a customer with a Quantum Tape Library (I'm not sure if it is partitionable, I'm going to be researching that shortly, but let's assume it is not) and they want to use it with both Veeam and BE 2012. They will use BE to backup physical machines and Veeam to backup the virtual. They want Veeam to manage its tapes and BE 2012 to manage its tapes. Here's the thing, they want to use the same library. We have suggested having Veeam perform the backups to disk and BE send out to tape, but they don't want BE doing any more than it has to as they want rid of it ASAP. By not integrating it with Veeam, it is one less thing they have to worry about later on.

Here is my question. Using a single tape library, assume 2 heads and no partitioning, is it possible to have both applications use the same library without overwriting each others tapes or causing other issues?

I'm thinking pools might be the solution. We know BE has the ability to not use tapes based on barcode values, but my Veeam rep tells me Veeam does not have this capability.

Any thoughts on if this is possible and any suggestions on how to do so?

I appreciate the help ahead of time.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: BE 2012, Veeam 7 R2 and One Tape Library

Post by veremin »

Here is my question. Using a single tape library, assume 2 heads and no partitioning, is it possible to have both applications use the same library without overwriting each others tapes or causing other issues?
No, it won't be possible, as without partitioning one solution or the other will lock the corresponding library to itself. Thanks.