Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jason.brandt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Brandt

Veeam in Production and DR Site

Post by jason.brandt »

Currently Running Veeam Backup & Replication 7 Update 3 on a physical server with DAS. This is used to backup about all of production servers which are all vms on VMware 5.5 (small company, 30 servers). I want to replicate to our DR site which also has VMware 5.5. The network link is slow and no plans to upgrade as it is sufficient for business operations at this time.

Background:
Before sending the file server to our DR site, I created a backup copy job and made sure all of the backups replicated to this server without any issues. I then move that server to our DR facility and got it up and running. I wanted to perform a test restore and the job said it found no proxy servers in the DR site so it was going to replicate data from production veeam which is too slow to complete in a normal window.

Question:
I installed a second Veeam Backup & Replication server in the DR site. My thought (and from reading documentation) was to setup the replication job on the DR server so that restores would use that instead. The 2 Veeam servers do not communicate so I was looking for help as to the best way to set this up. If I am way off target for what I want to do, please also suggest alternatives that are similar and take into consideration a slow link between sites.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam in Production and DR Site

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jason,
jason.brandt wrote:I wanted to perform a test restore and the job said it found no proxy servers in the DR site so it was going to replicate data from production veeam which is too slow to complete in a normal window.
In order to avoid these situations you can deploy a stand-by proxy server and use it only for VM restores operations.
I installed a second Veeam Backup & Replication server in the DR site. My thought (and from reading documentation) was to setup the replication job on the DR server so that restores would use that instead.

Yes, you can do that, but I'm not sure what you mean by saying replication job. In the background you're referring to backup copy job and now to replication. Can you please clarify?

Thanks!
jason.brandt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Brandt

Post by jason.brandt »

Sorry disregard replication....speaking about Backup Copy jobs only.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok! In this case there is no need to install a secondary backup server, just keep using your existing installation. Your main backup server will be responsible for backup and backup copy jobs scheduling.

As to potential restore procedures, then deploy a proxy server on the remote site via main backup server and just keep it for restore needs. This would an easier configuration to maintain and manage.