Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Jaap79
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jaap Engel

Regarding tapes, VBK files and removing them.

Post by Jaap79 »

Hi,

Just a quick question (at least, I hope so!).

We're using Veeam (Hyper-V) Backup & Replication Standard Edition v.7.0.0.839. The server is a Hyper-V host with a SAS-tapedrive attached. It works like a charm. Then, for offsite storage, we also have a NAS.

Our backups are set up as follows:

Create an incremental backup on a daily basis. Store this on the NAS.
Create an incremental backup on a daily basis. Store this on the internal D:-drive of the Hyper-V host.
Daily backup the D:-drive's Backup folder (containing the VBK's) to tape.

Why? Because it takes too long to backup from NAS directly back to tape. There's only a 1Gb connection to the NAS.

Now, the backup store on the D:-drive has become 350-some Gb's over time. Yes I do 'combine' the previous backups each saturday so it doesn't really grow that fast, but it does grow steadily. We do that on both the NAS and the D:-drive.

Is it possible to delete the .VBK-files stored on the local D:-drive every day after the backup so it will free up the space which is essentially only used as a temporary space? Or are there better options that I have overlooked? In any case, we want to use the NAS for offsite backups as well as tape..
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Regarding tapes, VBK files and removing them.

Post by veremin »

Or are there better options that I have overlooked?
You can lower retention period and use reversed incremental mode, instead of forward incremental one. Reversed incremental mode is more space conservative. Also, with this approach the latest backup will be a full one (that will be then copied to tape mediums on daily basis) and the oldest point will be deleted, as soon as the retention is reached.

Since it's nothing but a staggering area, you can even set 2 as a number of restore points to keep.

Thanks.