Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marky
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Coleman

What should happen to VBK files

Post by marky »

I can see that most of my test VM backups from March have their initial VBK file and I have now edited the jobs. Since they are so old, will the reverse inc process coupled with 31 day retention policy delete and create a new inc/full or will the original backup remain intact?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: What should happen to VBK files

Post by veremin »

Once the specified retention is reached, the oldest points will be automatically deleted. For more information, kindly, see the corresponding section of our User Guide.Thanks.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

Yes I can see that, I guess I was asking is if the backup is re- enabled after several months disabled....will it create a incremental file based on the differences since the 2 month old full and merge to create a new full.....or will it delete the old full (because it's older that 31 retentions) and perform a new full backup (which will mean more network traffic?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The retention setting specifies the number of restore points to keep, not the number of days. If you simply start the job on a day when an ordinary incremental run should be performed (according to the job schedule), it will create incremental backup based on the latest backup file available.
marky
Enthusiast

Post by marky »

foggy wrote:The retention setting specifies the number of restore points to keep, not the number of days. If you simply start the job on a day when an ordinary incremental run should be performed (according to the job schedule), it will create incremental backup based on the latest backup file available.
Thanks, just wanted to check, and the active backup vbk file is exactly the same as a reversed inc vbk file?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, both are full backups. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, the only difference is in how they are created: active full is created by capturing entire data from production VMs, while with reverse incremental full backup is created synthetically by injecting incremental changes into previous full backup.