Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sherrera
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Herrera

Changing the Veeam user

Post by sherrera »

Support Case ID 00589547

What I want to accomplish is changing the user that veeam writes files as. For example, all my backup jobs are written to my F: drive and then I have a backupcopy job writing to my G: drive. When I right-click and go to properties on any of the files, they are owned by administrator. How can I make them be owned by a specified user such as veeamadmin? The reason behind it is that we need to put a quota on the disk drive but administrator by default does not have to obey quota rules.

If anyone knows how to force a quota on the administrator that would work too.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Changing the Veeam user

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I don't think there is a way to change the account you're using to write backup files, as this account is also used to start services and run administrative tasks on the repository server. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, files are written by Veeam data mover agents that run under Local System account.
sherrera
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Herrera

Post by sherrera »

foggy wrote:Yes, files are written by Veeam data mover agents that run under Local System account.
Where or how can I change the Local System account it? I have created a specific user with administrative rights but don't know how to tie it to Veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam requires user account to install our services first, this account is specified in the connection settings to your repository. As to locating Veeam services, then you can find them in the Windows services snap-in.