Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tobia
Influencer
Liked: never

Second level backup

Post by tobia »

Hello,
I'm using Veeam Backup with two Hyper-V nodes. Backup jobs use a iscsi NAS to store its files.

I would like to have a second-level backup in another de-localized iscsi NAS but I would like to not backup it directly from VMs but throught the main backup (1st NAS to 2nd NAS), to not load VM and network twice.
Can I do this? Is it enought to copy all veeams files (.vib, .vbk and .vrb)? I case of disaster of both servers and the first NAS (for example fire in the server room), can I use a fresh-veeam installation and link it to the second NAS to restore all VMs?

Thank you very much.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Second level backup

Post by veremin »

You should use backup copy job, as it was designed specifically for such use cases. Take a look at our Help Center to find more information about it. Thanks.
tobia
Influencer

Post by tobia »

Oh my god. It is wonderful. Thank you.

I case of disaster of veeam proxy machine, I have only to install veeam and link it to the iscsi?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In case of disaster you can simply re-install backup server, link ISCSI drive, import backups and start to restore data. Also, it might be worth using configuration backup in order to protect backup server config. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There's also a standalone extract.exe utility, which comes with every Veeam B&R installation and being copied to the backup storage along with backups allows to perform restore even without the need to install Veeam B&R first.
tobia
Influencer

Post by tobia »

Very useful, I will test it. Thanks.
tobia
Influencer

Post by tobia »

I read that this utility is only for full backup (vbk), is there any way like this to recover an incremental or a rollback?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

No, you need to have a full product installation in this case. The utility is meant to be stored along and used with archived full backups. Thanks.