Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Eamonn Deering
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: EamonnD

Full Tape backup missing data that's on another media set

Post by Eamonn Deering »

I have a test backup to disk. It holds 21 forward incrementals. At the weekend before the tape backup it does a transform.
I configure a Tape Job to offload this data to a Media Pool at the weekend.
In order for me to write on a fresh tape I have an automatic Media Set created before this job starts. This also help me identify that weekend tapes.
The media pool has a three week retention. (Hanhy if I forget to swap the tapes after the weekend).

When I do the first tape backup it backs up all the data to the new media set.

The following week the disk backup folder will hold a fresh full backup (transform) and the weeks incrementals.
I want the tape backup to back up all the 21 increments (even though some are on older media sets still in the library).

What I finding is that the tape backup only backs up the data changed in the last weeks (since my last tape backup).
If I manually run another tape backup before the next disk backup it says "Nothing to backup".

Without using the tape file option is there a way I can offload all the incrementals and full backups each week to tape?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Full Tape backup missing data that's on another media se

Post by veremin »

You can switch to file to tape job, select given folder as a source for it, and set the file to tape job to perform full backup (copy all files found in selected location) on required basis. Thanks.