Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rich
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Main

Veeam Backup - Server Order

Post by Rich »

Apologies if this has been discussed before - we are currently looking to reset our VM backup order, if possible.

We have a single Veeam backup job, scheduled daily 11pm, backing up 19VMs. Works well, except 2 VMs (critical roles - Exchange & SQL database server), where Veeam backups often run on until 10/11am the following day until completion. Unfortunately, this is impacting VM performance and user experience.

Ideally, we would set critical VMs to backup first in the job schedule i.e. Exchange, SQL, case management etc, and "lesser" roles - (print, blackberry) last. Is this possible within Veeam? It seems VMs are backed up in the order they are initially added to the job schedule, with no way of reordering (or prioritising) VMs.

I'd rather not reschedule the timing of the Veeam backup job itself, as this would interfere with our traditional backup software (Commvault) - belt and braces, I know!!

I'd also prefer to retain a single Veeam backup schedule, for simplicity and to maximise dedupe.

Thanks for your input :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup - Server Order

Post by Gostev »

No, this is not possible today.
Please refer to the existing discussion here: Select VM backup order.
Thank you!