Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
umenz
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ulrich Menz

Create a temperature alert (condition > 25 C)

Post by umenz »

Hello,

while creating an Alarm for Sensor "Temperatur, Other 1 - 01 Ambient" I am not ablet to set a trashold.
The HP BMC has Normal and critical, but in the VEEAM ON Cockpit i can see the Degrees.

How i can set my own trashold to get an Alarm earlier then the Hardware is running in critical state ?

thanks

Ulrich
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Create a temperature alert (condition > 25 C)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ulrich,

Host hardware sensors information is retrieved via CIM-SMASH protocol, sensors status is defined on the firmware of the host, after that sensor starts to report on its health state.

I'm not sure there is a way to set thresholds either through vSphere Client or Veeam ONE, however can you please tell me if you have any host hardware software that controls behavior of this sensor?

Thanks!
umenz
Enthusiast

Post by umenz »

Hi Vitaliy,

the Sensors are HP "embedded". VMware 5.1 runs from the HP customised Image.
In the VEEAM ONE Cockpit: I can see 23 Temp Sensors (various on different Models), One of it is the Environment Temp in Celsius Degrees.

Is this Value stored in the Database and can used for a Alarm ?

the reason is:
In my case is a increase of 5 Degrees a warning that the Aircondition having a Problem.
But the HP Hardware is working well until the buildin treshold comes 15 additional degrees later and shut down the Server incl. VEEAM ONE monitoring vm.

So the Monitoring Solution should generate a warning. Is this possible with the user defined alarms ?

thanks

Ulrich
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

All sensors are monitored in real-time via vSphere API, we do not store the value/threshold in the database, we get the final status from VMware. Threshold is controlled by the firmware of your hosts, that is why I''ve asked if you have any host software to adjust it or not. Thanks!
umenz
Enthusiast

Post by umenz »

Hello Vitaliy,

I have HP Hosts different types (some ~20) and a Monitoring Software VEEAM ONE for the VMware hosts, why cannot define a threshold in software when we get the values in realtime ?
We want monitor - not only alert if the Hardware is crashed.

The next problem is the #sensor number is different on any host type, think we need a matrix that define the type of sensors and know the types of hosts. Which Software do this Job ?

regards

Ulrich
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, VMware does not expose this (setting thresholds) via their API, thus we haven't provided this capability in the alarm settings either.
umenz wrote:The next problem is the #sensor number is different on any host type, think we need a matrix that define the type of sensors and know the types of hosts. Which Software do this Job ?
Sensors list is retrieved from the host firmware, you should have the same set of sensors and numbers for similar make and modes of the hosts. This list is also published via VMware API.