Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Backup went ridiculously fast

Post by ashman70 »

Ok I know this not the sort of things most people post about but a VM backup that normally takes about 5 hrs just ran over the weekend and only took 1 hr and I am in a little disbelief. How I can I be sure that this really happened?

Normally the backup processing rate is around 12MB/s, this weekend it says it was 67MB/s and this backup took 5 hrs and 28 minutes. The backup that ran this weekend took 1 hr and 1 minute. Both jobs processed 239GB, read 238GB and transferred 200GB.

Normally the load looks like this: Source 55%, Proxy 36%, Network 50%, Target 50%.

This weekend it was this: Source 89%, Proxy 61%, Network 37%, Target 36% Now this weekend it did remove an older backup from retention, I don't know if that makes a difference but I am mentioning it anyway.

Both these jobs are for the same VM, on the same host, being backed up by the same host running the same version of Veeam, no changes were made to the network, Esxi environment or host running Veeam.

Why the difference?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup went ridiculously fast

Post by dellock6 »

I see a double usage of both proxy and source storage.
Seems like the production environment had finally more free resources to dedicate to backup job. Maybe a night script that didn't run, or a service that was stopped and before was consuming cpu and disk I/O? Any patch or service pack installed into the other VMs running in the same infrastructure?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

How I can I be sure that this really happened?
Test the latest restore point. If it's good, then, take the speed improvement for granted (most likely, backup job has got more spare resources, as pointed out by Luca). Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also you can compare job sessions from both runs and check what operation took less time, might help to detect the reason for this bump.