Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hog40
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hog

Veeam Transfer Backup Off-Site

Post by hog40 »

Hello,

We have a few different facilities so I am able to create a disperse cloud. I would like to replicate our backup sets to another locations My plan is to purchase a NAS device to put in another facility for offsite storage. Moving data over the VPN isnt feasible due to it inherent slowness. Is there a way to move data with https via veeam? What have you done in your environment to move data offiste?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam Transfer Backup Off-Site

Post by veremin »

What have you done in your environment to move data offiste?
Backup copy job is by far the most typical approach. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Hog, I see Vladimir did not read your question carefully, sorry about this. Currently, VPN connectivity is indeed required between all Veeam components, including for Backup Copy jobs. In the upcoming v8, we are adding ability to move backups offsite via an SSL connection with the feature called Veeam Cloud Connect, however at this time the server side of this feature is really designed for the Service Providers to use, as opposed to private cloud. Here is the blog post with more information about this feature. I assume you would be interested to have the same technology tuned for the private cloud use case in future versions of Veeam? Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My bad. Must have missed the part of VPN connection. Sorry for that.

As to copying data offsite without VPN, once Cloud Connect is released, you will be able to find suitable service provider and copy the backup data to it. The money saved on additional NAS device will cover service provider's fee.

Thanks.