Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jayk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jay Kirsten

Instant Recovery Speed

Post by jayk »

I am currently testing the instant recovery feature in B&R. I have Veeam, and Hyper-V installed on the same physical server. The backup repository is also local storage on the same physical server. I created a server 2012 test VM and installed SQL Server.

The instant recovery job is reasonably fast, it takes about 20 seconds. However the server takes over 10 minutes to boot into Windows. Once logged in everything is very sluggish for about 5 more minutes, then normal speeds are observed. What is happening that instant recovery is so slow? Booting the server normally is just fine on this server, I must have something setup incorrectly on the backup or recovery job that is really hurting my instant recovery tests.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Instant Recovery Speed

Post by veremin »

So, is it the same storage that is used for storing production VMs? Thanks.
jayk
Novice

Post by jayk »

No, the production environment is a failover cluster, SAN setup. The Veeam backup server is doubling as a last resort hyper-v host that would be used for instant recovery.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since it's all-in-one deployment, are you positive that underlying machine isn't deprived on physical resources? Were there any resource utilization peeks during Instant VM Recovery? Thanks.
jayk
Novice

Post by jayk »

Only thing I noticed was that the guest and host at 4GB of RAM each were utilizing about 85%. I'm going to throw 96GB into that server right now and allocate as much as possible to host and guest(instant recovered) to determine if that was indeed an issue.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you see the same poor performance (for 5 min) for all VMs you try to use Instant VM recovery feature for?
jayk
Novice

Post by jayk »

I was able to do some more testing finally. It is happening with all the VMs I try to instant restore. I installed the 96GB of ram to determine if it was a memory issue. I allocated 32GB to a fresh install+backup VM of server 2012. It ran just as horrible as when it only had 4GB memory in my original test. I did notice another oddity on the physical machine. When the instant recovery is starting, and the VM is booting, my network I/O fully saturates just under a gigabit. There are two VeeamAgent.exe's (one sending ~450Mbit, one receiving ~450Mbit). Not sure why there's network activity in this scenario, but nothing else in the resource monitor appears to be a bottleneck.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The main thing to consider while using Instant VM Recovery is the performance of the repository where your backups are stored. The more IOPs it can provide, the better.