Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mogz
Novice
Liked: never

SureBackup and Linked Jobs

Post by mogz »

Hey all,

I have an number of VM's inside one backup job. (well actually, we have a number of vms per job and there is about 8 jobs)

I want to test these vms, so I created an app group with our Domain controllers in there. I wrote some custom powershell scripts to test various other parts of the servers (such as services running, drive existance etc)

These scripts worked well and so I wanted to then test the rest of the vms. For these vms to work properly, I need the DC's to be up, so I thought I would put them in as linked jobs. The problem is, is that I can only run one script per linked job it seems and I need to be able to check all my vms..

So the way I see it I can do a number of workarounds:
1) Create multple app groups that all contain my dc's and then have a bunch of vms to test with in there
2) Create a script that somehow checks all the vms in that linked job.. not sure how I would be able to tell which vm is running inside the linked job though?

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SureBackup and Linked Jobs

Post by foggy »

Seems that the ability to specify tests for each VM in the backup job individually (under Advanced settings in SureBackup job) is what you're looking for.
mogz
Novice

Post by mogz »

Hi Foggy,

Thanks for that -I have done this with the app group, but I would like to be able to have the app group as the pre-requisites for the linked jobs. When you specify the linked job though, you can only do a script per job, rather than per vm (as can be seen when you reach the linked jobs section of the surebackup job)

My guess is that I am going to have to create multiple app groups that all contain the AD controllers (and therefore create lots of surebackup jobs).. seems like I'm massively duplicating the time taken per verification job by doing this
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

When you specify the linked job though, you can only do a script per job, rather than per vm (as can be seen when you reach the linked jobs section of the surebackup job)
Have you tried to use "Advanced" tab located below on the "linked jobs" page? Using it, you can expand a backup job, select individual VMs and, then, add verification options to them.

Thanks.
mogz
Novice

Post by mogz »

thanks that is what I am looking for! Much appreciated. Originally I didn't realise the linked jobs and advanced button were linked.. mostly because I expected the advanced button to have prepoulated with the linked vms already. It makes sense now though and I am well on my way :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you're up and running now. Let us know, if any other questions arise.