Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nufael
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: nufael

Storage space used to restore backup features

Post by nufael »

Hi,

I've running a few test cases in order to test the backup features. From my observation with the running backup tests, my datastore got floaded and almost full in size. Appreciate if someone would be able to point me which storage space are been using by below task:

i) Virtual lab
ii) Instant VM recovery - for this task, I've run a few times in order to test the recovery files that resulting session status in progressing state. And due to running this instant VM recovery quite a few numbers, it shows multiple session progress in progressing state. Would it affect the host datastore storage?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Storage space used to restore backup features

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nufael,

1. Virtual Lab is just an appliance which does not consume much space on the datastore. You can confirm its size via vSphere Client VM summary page.
2. Instant VM recovery uses your backup repository plus the datastore you've specified for the redo logs. Usually consumed space for redo logs does not take much, depends on how long do you run this task and how many block changes applications inside this VM produce.

Thanks!
nufael
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: nufael

Post by nufael »

Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for the response

For item 1: For my environment, I've found that new datastore being created. It will create new datastore in my vSphere with label Veeam Backup followed by my Veeam Backup server hostname. And it will reserved quite a big chunk of size (mostly all space in the datastore selection). Why does it so?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

During Instant VM Recovery new datastore is created. This datastore has the capacity you specify in this step of backup repository creation wizard.

As regards the question about appliance, then it does not have any disks by default, so it cannot consume much space. Did you possibly use Other OS FLR wizard and still have some disks mounted to this appliance? Can you check its configuration via vSphere Client?