Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
BEAIS
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Asa Hoaglund

Backup to Tape too large

Post by BEAIS »

Hello,

Each Friday after the Backup to Disk (Reverse Incremental) runs, a tape job follows it. It takes until the following Saturday evening to complete. However, lately it has been getting to the point where I must use 8 empty tapes (382.0 GB Capacity) for this job to complete. This causes issues as I can no longer have our cleaning tape in the autoloader. Is there a way to lower the amount of data that gets backed up via tape? I see that our Friday backup is only 2.17 TB and if I could backup only that backup, it would be extremely helpful.

Also, when I look at the tape backup Backup Files it states the Daily Backup job that runs (which is also the Friday backup) and it says that it is only 2.2 TB.. If that's the case, then we wouldn't be having this problem, so why is it backing up more than that?

P.S. I submitted a case, but never received a case number.

Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to Tape too large

Post by veremin »

What type of the job you're using? Backup to tape or files to tape?
If that's the case, then we wouldn't be having this problem, so why is it backing up more than that?
In fact, we receive information regarding tape free space from tape device directly. Your device must have notified us that the tape medium was full and we took another cassette. Depending on manufacturer, the tape might not be necessarily 100% full, when further write operation is prohibited, and there might be some free space left.
I submitted a case, but never received a case number.
You can open a support case and provide required logs by going to http://cp.veeam.com/.

Thanks.