Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mc1
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Custance

HP D2D wirh Veeam Backup Copy jobs very slow

Post by mc1 »

Hi

I have a support ticket open with this 00596561. We are using the a HP D2D4106i as a backup target for Veeam jobs. We have all compression turned off, inline deduplication is currently turned off (although we did have it turned on) and we are now using local target 16TB storage optimisation mode.

We are doing incremental backups with an Active full once a week.

We need to archive these backups to tape once a month. The problem is when using a Backup to tape or a Backup copy job to a local disk target we cant get Veeam to read from the D2D above 2MB/sec. If I do a cifs drag and drop copy we will average out at around 30MB/sec with spikes up to 110MB/sec

Sods law when we did a remote support session with Veeam support the other day the cifs copy wouldn't go above 10MB/sec.... Today I have updated the software on the D2D to 2.3.00 and updated all the firmware (apparently some specific fixes for Veeam performance). Unfortunately it has made no difference. I have a copy job running now to local disk which has taken 48min to transfer 5.6GB of data.

I appreciate the Veeam copy job task maybe more doing a bit more than my drag and drop test, but I would expect it to be a bit faster than this.

Anyone else out there using the D2D as a source of Veeam copy jobs?
romura
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: HP D2D wirh Veeam Backup Copy jobs very slow

Post by romura »

I had to abandon Backup Copy jobs because I was using Windows 2012 dedup for my repositories. After your retention policy is met, there's a transformation process of the .VBK file that CRAWLS if you're using dedup. The process was so slow that it eventually broke the daily copy cycle. I ended up making two incremental backup jobs with periodic fulls, one to primary and one to secondary site. It's not the most efficient way of backing up my environment but it works for now.

I hope Veeam recognizes the limitation of Backup Copy jobs coupled with deduplication. Hopefully there will be other ways of implementing backup copy jobs in future releases.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: HP D2D wirh Veeam Backup Copy jobs very slow

Post by Gostev »

Are you integrating with storage through CIFS share? Try NFS instead (mount D2D NFS share on a Linux host, and use Linux-based repository in Veeam). There are some known issues with CIFS performance in HP D2D, they were actually just fixed in the 3.11 firmware, but from what you say I assume this does not apply to your D2D storage model. And regardless, NFS will still provide better performance than CIFS even with 3.11