Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mythumbsclick
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: mythumbsclick

Another 'Confused About Backup Copy Job' Post

Post by mythumbsclick »

Hi All

I am another one a bit confused about setting up backup copy jobs for GFS. I have read a recent post here as well as the simple retention guide here.

My Scenario:

I have a backup job for my docs server
Restore point to keep: 21
Schedule: 3 times a day (8:00, 12:00, 18:00)
Method: Reverse Incrementals

This backups up to an onsite Synology DS1513+ with WD Reds. Nothing fancy. My thought is that 3 backups a day for 7 days is 21 restore points so this backup job covers me for a week of restores. Beyond this week I would like the ability to also store backups for monthly's and quarterly's and yearly's. Because there is no GFS in a normal backup job I configured 3 additional backup jobs to carry them out. This worked fine but of course I ended up with 1 server of 500GB taking up 4x 500GB which clearly is not a good idea.

So I have now created a backup copy job
Backup Copy Interval: every 7 days
Restore points to keep: 2
Keep following restore points for archiving:
Weekly - 4
Monthly - 3
Quarterly - 4
Yearly - 3

This backs up to an offsite Synology DS1513+ with WD Reds. My thinking was to have recent restore points accessible from my onsite storage and archive to my remote site. My remote site has a good link and the Synology boxes are the same spec so I am not sure I am gaining any real benefit doing this........ I really just want to have a reliable way of being able to restore with the restore points I have listed with using up TB's of storage.

Question 1
Im not sure where the copy interval fits in with all of this

Question 2
My understanding is that the archiving will keep a full backup of each point. So if the VM is 500GB then the above restore points when it reaches 3 years will equal 7TB + what ever data growth - Total restore points x 500GB. Would that be correct?

Question 3
Because I am only using a backup copy job for archiving does it matter if I keep the restore points to 2? Does that have any relevance to my archive restore points?

Question 4
Can you recommend a better way to achieve this? Such as GFS with incremental. I understand the point of archive restore points being full to ensure no reliance on increments etc.

Many thanks

MTC
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Another 'Confused About Backup Copy Job' Post

Post by veremin »

Im not sure where the copy interval fits in with all of this
You can think about copy interval as "how often should backup copy job look for a new restore point to copy". It's been discussed briefly in this topic; might be worth reviewing.
My understanding is that the archiving will keep a full backup of each point. So if the VM is 500GB then the above restore points when it reaches 3 years will equal 7TB + what ever data growth - Total restore points x 500GB. Would that be correct?
Yes, both your understanding and calculations are correct.
Because I am only using a backup copy job for archiving does it matter if I keep the restore points to 2? Does that have any relevance to my archive restore points?
It doesn't matter how many restore points are kept according to simple retention. The GFS restore points will be created regardless.
Can you recommend a better way to achieve this? Such as GFS with incremental. I understand the point of archive restore points being full to ensure no reliance on increments etc.
The scenario you described should work fine, as there is no such a thing as GFS with increments.

Thanks.
mythumbsclick
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: mythumbsclick

Post by mythumbsclick »

Thanks v.Eremin. I think I am on top of things now.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should any other help be need, don't hesitate to ask.