Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Louharle
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Louis Harle

Initial Replication Job

Post by Louharle »

Hello all, this probably has been asked before but I have been unable to locate an answer

I’m pretty sure I already know the answer but humor me and lend some input if you have a second: Veeam replication job kicks off, it is a job that is scheduled to run each night @ 6pm. It runs throughout the day (initial seeding) and come up on the 6pm next run time – my understanding is it just keeps running on the original job and will pick up the scheduled run once the initial seeding has completed – am I correct?

Thank you ahead of time.

Lou
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Initial Replication Job

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Louis,
Technically, a job running continuously is launched as soon as previous job processing is complete. You can run jobs continuously or with an interval as low as one minute to implement near-continuous data protection (near-CDP).
All subsequent replication jobs are incremental (that is, Veeam Backup & Replication copies only those data blocks that have changed since the last replication cycle). At every incremental job run, Veeam B&R “injects” changes into the replica to rebuild it to the most recent state of the original VM.
Nikita
Louharle
Influencer

Post by Louharle »

Thank you for your response - I'm sorry I wasn't clear - the job is "scheduled" to run every night @ 6pm. I kicked it off manually to begin seeding and it is still running on the initial launch to seed the target and is coming up on the first scheduled run date tonight - my question is this - will it just continue on with the initial seeding or stop the initial seeding and launch the scheduled job? I can't see that it would do the latter as there is no completed job yet but want to make sure.

thank you again
dspjones
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by dspjones » 1 person likes this post

In my experience the running job will continue until it completes. So say you start job at 6pm today (tuesday), it runs until it completes (example tomorrow - wed 9pm). The next scheduled start would be Thurs. 6pm. Veeam will start the next run at that time. I vaguely remember in older versions that you might see a failure of the Wed. 6pm job but the log will clearly say that it failed because the previous job was still running. I'm not sure if that is still the case in the latest versions though.

In any case, Veeam will run the current job till it completes and then pick up the next scheduled start normally.

:::EDIT:::
Just as a side note - I changed my job scheduling from specific start times to use the next run AFTER xxxxx job completes. This way my exchange backup jobs starts, then my production server job runs and then replication runs after that. I love job chaining.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the question clarification, Louis.
Dspjones is correct. The job you started will be finished and then your scheduled jobs will take place in accordance to the schedule.
To avoid jobs overlapping you can use Backup Window feature.
Nikita
Louharle
Influencer

Post by Louharle »

Thank you all for the verification, most appreciated.