Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Logie50
Novice
Liked: never

Extract tool

Post by Logie50 »

Hi, I'm testing out a DR process and hit an issue.

Using v7 to backup two hyperv vms, and Rsync over to an off site NAS. All that appears good. I can extract the backup using the standalone tool.

I thought I could directly import those into my test server but it says it can't import them. What have I missed?
Server 2012 vms backed up, copied and and then trying to import into a fresh 2012r2 server.

Thanks for any help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Extract tool

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Do you mean you try to import these backups to a Veeam backup console or you're trying to import extracted VMs to a Hyper-v host? If it's the first case, then have you tried importing these backups prior using rsync? If this operation is successful, then it could be an rsync tool that changed backup files making them impossible to import.

Thank you!
Logie50
Novice

Post by Logie50 »

Trying to import directly into a hyperv host. I guess that could be it, I thought Rsync was good at transfers. Is my dr plan not the best idea? Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to sync backups with the offsite location, then I would recommend using backup copy jobs that provide more flexibility in terms of data transfer and retention policy compared to rsync. See our on-line documentation and this blog post for further reading.

Also since you have a full-blown Hyper-V host on the remote location, then I would also recommend doing VM replicas (via replication jobs) for your mission-critical VMs. Thanks!
Logie50
Novice

Post by Logie50 »

I'll have to look into that as I've currently not got a VPN available to connect the two and also only essentials without the wan option.
Does the extract utility fail as soon as there are previous versions in the backup, seems to read the XML file fine until a second daily backup is run. Same both sides, errors with it can't read the XML. First backup fine.
I've only got the Rsync (or should I say readynas replicate) currently as the only way to copy the backup files offsite so really would like to nail this problem, also as other users mentioned that this was possible.

Thanks for any input
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Logie50 wrote:Does the extract utility fail as soon as there are previous versions in the backup, seems to read the XML file fine until a second daily backup is run. Same both sides, errors with it can't read the XML. First backup fine.
Not sure I follow you here. Do you mean that you do incremental backups of the VMs, then run a restore job to pull out VM files from the backups and then try to import these files, but they fail? Why don't you restore VMs from backup files directly to the Hyper-V host via Veeam backup console?
Logie50
Novice

Post by Logie50 »

At the DR location I was hoping to only use the extract utility to save installing, and any licence issues. I'd only need the last nights backup. I have all the incremental files etc at the dr site and also have used the reg key change so the current nights backup file doesn't change it's name, just the previous nights.

Thanks for the input.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You don't need any Veeam B&R license keys on the DR site in order to run restores or anything like that. Also, keep in mind that "extract.exe" utility can only be used with full backups (VBKs).