Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Wolverine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

How to trace trends on Alerts on VeeamOne

Post by Wolverine »

Hi Guys,

I am looking at ways to minimise the red-flags on my monitoring and came accross a tip that I must check trends for issues like "High Balloon Memory utilization" and "Memory Swap usage" as they are amongst the few that keep on popping-up. I right clicked on Source "Under Alarms" and selected show history. Will that provide me with a brief indication of how often this has happened compared to going to the "memory tab" to sift through the different charts to try and see when the spikes happen etc.? Also; Under the "memory tab", how can I go about determining "Swap rate" causes?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to trace trends on Alerts on VeeamOne

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lazarus,
Wolverine wrote:Will that provide me with a brief indication of how often this has happened compared to going to the "memory tab" to sift through the different charts to try and see when the spikes happen etc.?
Yes, you can check alarms history to detect usual times when this alarm is fired.
Wolverine wrote:Also; Under the "memory tab", how can I go about determining "Swap rate" causes?
Usually, if VMs don't have enough memory they begin to use swap files. Can you please tell me for what type of VMs do you see this alarm? SQL Server? Exchange?

Thanks!
Wolverine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lazarus

Post by Wolverine »

Hi Vitaly,

Thanks for getting back to me; "Memory Swap is on Exchange Server and have noticed that the "High Balloon utilization" is mainly on the same vSphere vCentre. I have since noticed that the High Ballooning is because of a backup that is currently running.

Regards,

Lazarus
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's fine to see additional load on the storage/vCenter Server during backup tasks. Since you own Veeam ONE, can you run the Under-sized VMs report to see what extra resources you might need?