Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
timgarbim
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim garbim

Hyper-V FailoverCluster Backup to Tape

Post by timgarbim »

Hello everyone.

I´m using the Veeam 7.0 version with Tape support and it works great! (Full Version) . But i don´t have too much space in my HD to backup to it, them to the tape. So, to backup a Failover Cluster with Hyper-V , do i really need to backup it to the HD first, them replicate to the tape ? I keep getting some errors with insufficient space in disk because of that ;/

IF theres a way to send directly to the tape, how to do that ? Or, is there a way to make the veeam automatically delete my backup in disk after it send to the tape ? If i delete it manually, it will fail my next backup.

I only need to make full backup every day
timgarbim
Novice

Re: Hyper-V FailoverCluster Backup to Tape

Post by timgarbim »

My tape is attached inside in the server(SAS i think) .

My intention is to keep incremental backups only in the Tape or full backups only. If i can backup it directlly to the tape, it would be great! Cause i only have 1 TB of hard drive (for one day)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Tim,
timgarbim wrote:If i delete it manually, it will fail my next backup.
To continue making backup jobs after previous backup is moved to tape and existing backup files were deleted manually (not using retention policy settings), install Veeam B&R v7 patch #3. You can install #4, since it`s superseded; but, read description patch#3 features. You need to set this registry key ForceCreateMissingVBK (DWORD) on your backup server. It is all described in the "Rotated Media" section in the link. Please read carefully.
timgarbim wrote:If i can backup it directlly to the tape, it would be great!

You can not backup directly to a tape; but, you can use powershell to schedule a script that would trigger the backup to tape job and clean up the repository after.
timgarbim
Novice

Post by timgarbim »

Thank you :D

i will add the registry and make a script to delete the folder :D
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Tim.
By the way in an upcoming version of B&R will be an option of post job activity for backup to tape jobs usage where you can set the script to be run once the job is done.
But keep in mind it`s not the best practice to do what you are doing. I would recommend you to enlarge your repository and to keep backups both there and on tape. You can read a short article about 3-2-1 rule or watch a video about Best Practices for Hyper-V Backup and Recovery Planning.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In addition to this, I would also suggest using capacity planning for backup repositories report in Veeam ONE, that would give you more control on free space usage and estimations on when you will run out of free space.
isential
Novice
Full Name: Joachim Braun

Post by isential »

Sorry for reactivating this threat.
I'm absolutely new in VEEAM. I'm using VEEAM Backup & Replication 9.5. Is it still not possible to backup virtual machines directly to the tape?
Is there any help like "how to do" for beginners?
Thank you for any reply.
Joachim
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

HI Joachim and welcome to the community!
Direct backup to tape is not available since it`s against Veeam`s best practices. It`s recommended to have 2 copies of backup, so you need to backup VM first and than backup-to-tape it.
Thanks!